Kirem's lawn-mowing Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirem

Reaction score
I've recently started brewing again and have ordered a new PID/SSR etc from Auberins to (re)build a small brewery. It's a design loosely based on a one vessel brewery. I have named it One Pot Screamer - OPS.

I decided to try and make an easy drinking 3.5% alc beer. Something I can drink a few of, without it knocking me around. It was born out of drinking LC furfy and thinking about a lower alcohol version of Kolsch

1.031 SG
3.5% Alc (estimated)
13 IBU
3 SRM

94% Pilsner malt
3% Melanoiden malt
3% Wheat malt

I use rain water, additions to get;

Ca 60ppm, Mg 5ppm, Na, 10ppm, SO4 55ppm, Cl 95ppm, HCO3 0ppm

I dough in at ambient temperature and use a ramp soak PID
5 step mash 5min@35degc, 15min@52degC, 45min@63degC, 30min@72degC, 10min@78degC/mashout

Magnum FWH/90min for 9 IBU
Nelson sauvin/Galaxy 5min for 4 IBU

US05 and S189 at 16degC then a 30 day traditional lager.

Any thoughts, particularly on the hops, I'm looking for tropical/passionfruit/melon.

Passionfruit can come from galaxy. I understand huell melon hops have distinctive melon character - not tried it myself.
Welcome back.

Yep, Huell Melon at knockout/in cube and dry hopped will give some distinct melon character. It also has a touch of dank, which goes well with the melon-ny-ness.

Well that's me fucked, I've got no lawn.
Maybe I can brew a bitumen sweepings Stout?

My experience of Huell Melon is that you def get the melon and some dank to balance, but you need a lot at flameout/cube to notice. 100g in a cube (23l) was definitely underwhelming, 200g better.

Vic Secret (passionfruit, pineapple and pine) late might work. Not melon, but it's good. Galaxy late is similar but way more passionfruit and no pine

NS and Galaxy might work; never used them in combination though.

I did a vic secret and and ella apa that a distinct melon flavour. I couldnt say what hop it came though

Back