Kilkenny Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitman

Reaction score
G'day Bruhars,

I recently put down a "Kilkenny" clone from Brewcraft and was wondering what i should prime it with as to not get it too "fizzy".

I am individually priming 375ml bottles.

Thanks heaps

If you are individually priming, those "three way spoons" (i feel so dirty saying that...) are 330ml smallest size aren't they? Might be the go, as i don't get a lot of carbonation from Kilkenny if i remember correctly. It's been a while since i had it though.

Maybe the smallest scoop (assuming its 330ml) with LDM might be a good choice.

Bulk priming is far easier and gets consistent results.
You mix the beer and the 'primer' in a vessel and then bottle that.

Here's a link to a short article about the process: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html This is a great online book totally full of really good information, have a good look through it's other sections.

Kilkenny in a can or in draught is carbonated with a CO2 & Nitrogen mix. The Nitorgen gives smaller bubbles that lead to the creamy head. Most UK beers are best served less fizzy than what we would consider normal carbonation levels. Short answer is: less fizz = less primer.

You can also find Batch or Bulk Priming Calculators on the net.

I Hope this helps.

Hand pump. Failing that, 10ml baby syringe, draw up 5 mls, hold it 5 cm above your glass and squirt as hard as you can. Gets the head, the aroma and the flat-bodied creaminess you desire.

Hand pump. Failing that, 10ml baby syringe, draw up 5 mls, hold it 5 cm above your glass and squirt as hard as you can. Gets the head, the aroma and the flat-bodied creaminess you desire.

interesing...do you still have to prime as normal or no-priming required wth this method?

Back