Kids Talk

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moray

Reaction score
I made a partial brew this arvo and got my 3 and half year old apprentice to help.
I showed her the grain and then got her to help add it to the pot.

I was commenting on how it looked like porridge, She turned around and said it looked mashy
I laughed and said well done, as that's what it's called.

I think she will make a great brewer one day :D

hehehehe.....from the mouths of babes

thats awesome!

Careful guys, I have two boys who are basically adults. No matter how fast I brew it always seems to "evaporate". When I ask the lads why my kegs are empty or why my bottles are stacked (neatly) awaiting refil....all I get is innocent looks and the "not me". I will have to resort using 2 fermenting bins just to keep the beer up to em.

My advise.........brew in a cave (shed), lock the door, never let them into the brewing secret....and certainly keep the 17 and 18 y/o's away from the shed.

my 3 year old girl loves to help brew and not shy to have a sample I must add.

Smart kid you got there Moray! My not-quite-two year old already likes having a sniff of dad's beverage of choice, except now any time I have a drink in a glass, I get accused of drinking beer!
joe

Neither of my girls like to help me brew, but they like to taste. The thrre year old always wants a sip and then gives it the nod of approval or the "no I don't like that one daddy", problem now is that the 15mth old always wants to taste it as well, she seems to like anything, oh well I guess she will learn.

eric

Got a phone call this week at work from my anxious wife. Turns out she was at the other end of the house to our kids when 3yo daughter let out a scream, causing wife to run towards the scream. When she arrived she found a very nervous daughter and an "innocent" look from my 2yo son (along the lines of wasn't me). While my wife was trying to settle my daughter down she thought to herself, whats that noise coming from the bathroom? On entry to the slowly flooding bathroom she saw the open fermenter tap happily pouring my Golden ale all over the floor. My son apparently, at that point took himself to the naughty corner for a sit down..... He is now quite happily telling anyone that will listen that he "spilled Daddy's beer".

Far better to have them learn how to brew, understand what good beer should taste like, and drinking known quantities at home where you can watch them than, you know, UDLs and goon bags down the park.

my 6yr old son couldnt understand why the neighbours hung over the fence when i had my honey wheat on the boil. after careful explanation....

he now goes and knocks on their door when im about to start the boil to tell them!

My advise.........brew in a cave (shed), lock the door, never let them into the brewing secret....and certainly keep the 17 and 18 y/o's away from the shed.

Or...Fathers? Ha! I started brewing at the ripe old age of 18, a bit over a year ago. I mentioned it to Dad one day, bringing over a mixed half-batch of beers for his B'Day present, including some well aged [5 month] porter and the like that I'd been saving. He said he'd always wanted to start HBing but never got around to it...and asked if I'd like to contract-brew for him! Well, as appealing as that was there is only so much you can brew out of a wardrobe at the end of your dormitory room...so the next time I was down his way I brought my fermenter and we both made up a batch [he pulled his 'few X-mas's ago', still-intact, kit out from under the stairs] after a trip to the LHBS. The verdict after a few months...was good :D

Far better to have them learn how to brew, understand what good beer should taste like, and drinking known quantities at home where you can watch them than, you know, UDLs and goon bags down the park.

Definitely. I know I probably would have done the same if it wasn't for the house rules being that as a teenager [15+] I was allowed a wine/champers/beer with dinner or at a social occaision if others were having it, and from the age of 16 if there was a party on I'd be bought a sixy of beer/cruisers. Some mates thought this was stingy but I knew my parents didn't want me getting trashed, and from what I saw from looking after drunken mates I knew that I didn't particularly want to get over-imbibed either.

But yeah, my 5y/o sister saw over my Dad and I on the brew day I mentioned above - she was dead keen to help out! Didn't go much on the wort though, she said it tasted funny [bitter] and she wanted it to be sweeter, "like sugar!" She liked the spent mash, though, from the partial we did for one of the batches...so it looks like she might be a brewer yet!

I have 2 girls, 7 and 5. Up until about 3-4 years ago, I couldn't put down my beer within their reach because they'd be in it in a heartbeat. Then my neighbour's little girl, who was about 3 years older than my oldest, and thus her 'hero', one day said "Ewww, beer! Yuck!" To this day, both my girls hate beer. All because of one kid's big mouth.

To be honest, I'd be happier if they liked it.

Both my boys 3 and 5 love to help, I cant make a batch without them demanding to help stir. and before I started kegging we would have a production line, one adding the carb drops to the bottles, me filling and the other putting them in the boxes.

They are also one of my best critics and not afraid to let me know when a brew is not up to their standard. :beer:

My daughter is 18months old and she loves to help me when im brewing in the shed, and also likes the occasional taste when she is sitting on my lap

Latest posts

Back