Kid Safe / Child Proof Keg Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markarena

Reaction score
Hey brewheads,

I'm considering a kegerator setup in my kitchen, and I'd like to know if anyone has thought about the problem of small hands getting a hold of the tap handle.

Is is possible to lock the taps to prevent beer being dispensed into Spiderman plastic cups?

Cheers!
Mark

only brew light beers? :D

there are locks that you can get for taps, but i think their design is more orientated for preventing accidental pouring rather than childproofing...

Hide the spiderman cups?

Not the answer you looking for I know. Could you simply dis-connect the beer-out quick connect and leave this dangling in the fridge when it is not being used?

Or maybe go grab some nice vinyl and a sewing machine and knock up a little slip on cover to drop over the taps when not in use. Out of site is generally out of mind for people who drink from cups with superheroes on them. Plus it will keep your beer font nice and clean.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Couple of options I can think of:

1. Mount the tap nice and high, which will work until they figure out how to stand on chairs.
2. Disconnect the beer line/s from the keg/s between sessions so they can't serve any beer unless they figure out how to hook the DCs back on.
3. Once you've done two, lock the fridge door because you just know they'll figure it out anyway.
4. By the time they're in their teens, they'll get a duplicate key cut anyway, and just help themselves to the beer.
5. You're doomed.

Yep turn off the gas and burb the keg before going nigh nighs. Otherwise stumble to bed off your face yet again, forget to turn off gas to kegs, kids play keg with get bored but leave tap on, beer trays fills to over flowing, wake up in the morning to wife screaming blue murder because the lounge room is full of beer! Spend weekend cleaning and making up with the boss so miss out on that APA you wanted to make. YES I DID IT!

Edit: Oh after doing it you won't do it again TRUST ME!

You can get tap locks like these ones
1196.jpg

My kegorator is in the kitchen. I have a 6 and 4 year old.
They have grown up with it and know not to touch.

Doc

1. as already said, there are locks you can get for the taps. but pricey
2. remove the taps if possible. cellis are nice and easy to screw on and off.
3. just unscrew the actual tap handle. no handle means no pulling beers.

3. Once you've done two, lock the fridge door because you just know they'll figure it out anyway.
4. By the time they're in their teens, they'll get a duplicate key cut anyway, and just help themselves to the beer.
5. You're doomed.

Bwahahahaha!!! :lol:

PoMO unfortunately steps 3, 4 and 5 are too true <_<

2. remove the taps if possible. cellis are nice and easy to screw on and off.
3. just unscrew the actual tap handle. no handle means no pulling beers.

This is what I do with my Celli's when I go away for extended periods. For some reason my cats go ballistic in the house when we go away and leave them for more than a day or so (don't worry, they get fed and watered by the neighbour :)

We've come back to mass destruction before, and I can just imagine them jumping onto the kegerator and activating taps.

So I just screw off all the Celli tap handles.

cats go ballistic....can just imagine them jumping onto the kegerator and activating taps.

slinky malinki jumped high off the floor, swung on the beer handle and got pissed. - anyone with kids and knows the slinky malinki books will get this. actually link for pic. funny. my kids havent shown any interest in my taps. but they are outside. cat sits on top of the freezer but thats about it.

You can get tap locks like these ones
1196.jpg

My kegorator is in the kitchen. I have a 6 and 4 year old.
They have grown up with it and know not to touch.

Doc

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16273//Faucet_Lock .. US$49.95 .. owch, but worth considering.

I have a 6, almost 4 and 2 year old boys. The youngers currently love to play with the water tap outside the house, so I'm afraid the lure of a tap inside within reach (with the help of a footstool) is going to be too tempting. Not sure I can be 100% confident in training them not to touch.

Thanks for the pointer!

Yep turn off the gas and burb the keg before going nigh nighs. Otherwise stumble to bed off your face yet again, forget to turn off gas to kegs, kids play keg with get bored but leave tap on, beer trays fills to over flowing, wake up in the morning to wife screaming blue murder because the lounge room is full of beer! Spend weekend cleaning and making up with the boss so miss out on that APA you wanted to make. YES I DID IT!

Edit: Oh after doing it you won't do it again TRUST ME!
This is the NIGHTMARE scenario I want to avoid! Thanks for the inspiration to make sure I find a solution!

Run a 12 volt car battery to the tap handle and dont earth it.
Run an earthing wire to a secret position in the kitchen.
When you pour, be sure to touch both contacts.
After a couple of mild electric shocks, the kids work out that beer is bad for them.

After a couple of mild electric shocks, the kids work out that beer is bad for them.

From the above post, we can safely conclude that Swinging Beef either doesn't, or shouldn't, have kids

;)

Not an option. With that kind of mental scarring, how will I teach them to brew beer for ME?

Get a man cave (shed) and hide in there till the coast is clear... say 15 years or so!

+1 for this plan. I have two girls and slowly converting the man cave into a safe secure refuge for when the teenage years arrive!!!

:icon_cheers: SJ

This is why i had to move mine out to the shed, my 2yo got stuck into it one day and ended up having a little yak! SWAMBO was not happy.

KHB

From the above post, we can safely conclude that Swinging Beef either doesn't, or shouldn't, have kids
;)
I wholeheartedly agree, but the bastards keep hanging around! Isnt 12 - 16 when they should leave home?
Cant the abortion laws be changed so I can terminate up to 25 years AFTER conception? :(

Latest posts

Back