Kettles, Long N Slim And Short N Fat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Hey

Ive had a tooheys tall n slim keg for years right. I now have a short n fat CUB keggle (thanks Stew.W). Peteoz77 also has a CUB keggle and I shat myself when he added hops last time I was round there. Why is it that when adding hops to a long n slim keggle there is no reaction whatsoever with the wort compared to my new one and Peteoz77's short n fat. Its like a volcano. Whats the go?

Cheers
Steve

hmm interesting, in the long n slim I used to end up with bang on 19 litres no chilling in the two fermenters. With the short n fat ive 19 in one fermenter and 15 int' other. Why is this so? Volcano hop additions and more evaporation? More surface area n stuff?

Steve, what prompted the change? Not happy with the original kettle?

Steve, what prompted the change? Not happy with the original kettle?

Because Stew.W off here made me one of his hop sieves and put it in his old kettle that he gave me:

IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG

The siphon effect sucks the kettle dry but unfortuntely because its short n fat I was 4 litres short in my fermenters. Its a cool little screen, works well from a $9 woolies SS seive. The CUB was a lot harder to handle with 47 litres in it at boil time and hop addition time.

Cheers
Steve

not sure if you've already done it, but what if the pipe extended to the bottom of the kettle (minus a couple mm for clearance) through the other side of the mesh. then you will be able to get closer to the last bit of wort.

not sure if you've already done it, but what if the pipe extended to the bottom of the kettle (minus a couple mm for clearance) through the other side of the mesh. then you will be able to get closer to the last bit of wort.

already done, just a few mls clearance.

Because Stew.W off here made me one of his hop sieves and put it in his old kettle that he gave me:

The siphon effect sucks the kettle dry but unfortuntely because its short n fat I was 4 litres short in my fermenters. Its a cool little screen, works well from a $9 woolies SS seive. The CUB was a lot harder to handle with 47 litres in it at boil time and hop addition time.

Cheers
Steve

No problem with to much hot break going through the sieve Steve?
Looks like a good idea if the last of wort comes through clean.I'm leaving way to much behind ATM.
Daz

Back