Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverside

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
How long can i keep beer in a cornie for ?
Also is it best to keep fully carbed or just burped off with co2 ?
Thanks

I think you can keep it in there as long as you can not drink it :icon_chickcheers: . Like all home brew its not pasturized so there will be a limit but I've been drinking some 1yr old Bottled beer recently and it still tastes fine.

After transfering into the keg I always burb out the Oxygen with 3 hits of Co2.

For extended storage I would keep and eye on the temperature, try and keep it as low as possible without freezing obviously.

how long do you want it to last?

After a month or so I find the hop flavour really dies if your making hoppy beers

Some beers tend to loose their character if not consumed with in a couple of months, sometimes even weeks. Like wheat beers, mine are fermented, kegged (or bottled), carbed then drunk when carb is to my liking. IMO the only reason you'd really want to keep a beer for a lengthy time (like pushing a year or more) is if making an RIS or something that needs that time to smooth ouit the rough edges.
So, Riverside, like all answers in HB, it depends ;)

Sealed inside a keg, with a CO2 blanket over the beer it shall last a long time. No issues with up to 12 months from my experience.

Could well be more than that though.

Echoing other comments on here re: hop aroma - it shall dissipate over time.

Back