Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question I have a Brewzilla 65 with 220v that I use in the USA, will this all work okay when I go to Europe. They have 50Hz ( ish ) wheras USA is 60Hz.

The pump isn't changed is it for the US market if 220V model?

Thanks.

If you made a chiller comparable with the hydra it would definitely be on my shopping list (for a 65L).

As for the brew stand, biggest issue for me indoors is that I need my rangehood up high to allow for the malt pipe to be lifted out. if you can make a brew stand with flexible/moveable steam extraction that would be awesome. Again compatible with smaller systems, not just 100L would be ideal.

With the steam extraction how would you get this out of the room. If you are indoors and require steam extraction then you would need to put a hole in the wall so the steam can be taken out of the room.

I think for steam extraction you would be better off using the steam condenser.

Do you guys sell anything besides silicone bungs? How will they hold up to O2 ingress and what's the best material to use? I'm using glass for long aged sours (1 year +) and mead (4 months +)

I am not really sure about the oxygen sensitivity of the particular sours you are doing or mead as we have not done testing on these specifically. It's possible that they do not degrade as quickly as conventional beers when exposed to oxygen. With that said Rubber bung is commonly available and has lower O2 transmission rate however they have the issue that they perish and crack over time.

Not that i am looking at a 100l in my rental i dont think my landlord would approve me getting the required power outlet lol
but I think a good Brewing stand would be great addition specially if it can be made portable , As i brew under a carport out front its not the ideal place to store a stand as such and would have to get this in a back shed with ease out of prying eyes and 5 finger discount artists.

but love the idea of that

Thanks for that. We will take that into consideration.

Not sure you can install anything larger than a 20a circuit in a single phase house in QLD any longer, at least with EV chargers. Probs just hijack the kitchen circuit.

Yes I tend to think that this is the easiest way. If you tap off the kitchen circuit this will probably have enough power. If you have a 4 hob electric cook top and/or electric oven that is fairly new they normally require a similar amount of power. So if you tap off this circuit it's probably the easiest way for most customers.

I have been going to make a stand like you describe, with the overhead lift as you mention. Anything I made would be from mild steel and one of the reasons I have not done it yet, stainless would be ideal.

Some thoughts...
* overhead lift is essential (for my use)
* ability to collapse or fold lift point for storeage desireable
* optional high quality locking castors
* a dust proof cover vailabkle for storage
* mounting point for stainless coolossus or similar third party coolers
* mount point for pumps
* mounting points on stand for additional hardware
* storeage/hooks for mash paddle, lids etc
* compatible with other breweries like Braumeister dimensions

A modular design would be really cool, a bit like SS Brewtech "brew cubes", a cheaper locally available alternative would be great.

eg If having a big brew day you might use a seperate boiler so you mash-in the second batch quicker. So having a second stand for the like of a digiboil would be great. Being able to connect two stands together would be cool and maybe attractive for 3V brewers.

Thanks for that. I would agree with these ideas. We will work on the designs and hopefully have something by next year. If you guys think of any other ideas please put the forward and we will also do our best to make it happen.

Hey Kegland, could you please share an update on the 4L Oxebar units?

We are hoping these will be available soon. We have been looking at a possible upgrade to multiwall barrier technology on this product which is why it's been delayed. If we use multiwall we further improve the oxygen transmission rate.

nd collapsible. I currently use a collapsible table. It certainly helps reduce the overall (permanent) footprint needed for brewing, and allows me to set up my 35L in different spots. A collapsible ta

If the single vessel brewery is stored on the actual brew stand itself when not in used, do we need the brew stand itself to be collapsible or can we just make it so the crane comes off and the height is reduced for storage?

A question re: the 4L oxebar kegs that are on their way...
I'd assumed they're just going to be same diameter but half the height of the 8L kegs.
But you know what they say about "ass-u-me"ing things.
Is that what they'll be or is the plan for different dimensions?

Yes that is correct. The diameter will be the same as the 8L Oxebar Kegs but the height will be about half.

How well is the RAPT temperature controller going to handle exposure to UV? I intend to use it in an outdoor location that is out of the weather, but it will get a lot of sunlight, including at least a few hours of direct sun in the mornings and late afternoons. I've seen some plastics last for decades, but others crumble after a couple of years.

I suppose there are several components to consider, obviously the plastic case, but also the cables/connectors and the display.

If I need to protect the the RAPT temperature controller from direct sunlight, what are the cooling/air circulation requirements? Can I mount the whole thing in very small plastic box with a lid that can be flipped? Is it likely to overheat?

Are there operating conditions specifications? I could not find anything on the website or in the manual.

The RAPT temp controller box is made from ABS with UV stabilizer added to the plastic. It will probably last 10 years in sunlight at which point the outside will start to go a bit chalky would be my guess. So it will not degrade fast but it will eventually break down in the sun. If you really wanted to leave in the sun for a very long time then a simple coat of epoxy paint would double or triple the lifespan of the plastic in direct sun for a long period.

Alternatively if you have the RAPT temp controller behind laminated glass this will block more than 90% of the damaging UV.

While on the topic of the RAPT temp controllers have you guys noticed the new feature on the RAPT temp controllers and the RAPT Fermentation Chambers?

As you can see on the attached image the new RAPT devices receive the Pill Bluetooth signal and then display the gravity on the display of the controller. This is a nice feature that some of you guys might not be aware of.

With respect to heat no ventilation on the RAPT temp control box is necessary. It can work in very hot ambient conditions without any issues and without any ventilation.

Attachments

• New RAPT Temp controller screen with SG reading.png
    New RAPT Temp controller screen with SG reading.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Question I have a Brewzilla 65 with 220v that I use in the USA, will this all work okay when I go to Europe. They have 50Hz ( ish ) wheras USA is 60Hz.

The pump isn't changed is it for the US market if 220V model?

Thanks.

Yes the BrewZilla 65L units that are purchased in USA are different to the ones sold in Europe. It's really best to purchase in the country that you plan to use the unit.

If the single vessel brewery is stored on the actual brew stand itself when not in used, do we need the brew stand itself to be collapsible or can we just make it so the crane comes off and the height is reduced for storage?
I built a foldable stand. Flat packs quite nicely. Being wood unfortunately it is a little heavy and I'm thinking of making a version 2.0 out of steel.

I did notice the gravity on he front of my controller, especially cause its in my garage, I knew what the gravity was as soon as I got out of my car.

Attachments

• 20200418_131300.jpg
    20200418_131300.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200418_131313.jpg
    20200418_131313.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200818_124624.jpg
    20200818_124624.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
We are still making small changes to the design but the pricing is likely to be a little over $1k. Pricing at the moment is all over the place with raw materials changing on a weekly basis.

I have been using this BrewZilla 100L at home and really like it. Lifting the malt pipe out is really a 2 person job or one that you need a pully like this to get the job done.

As we have these large BrewZilla 100L units and the 65L units do you think you guys would be interested in us making a brewing stand that has an overhead crane on top to make it easier to lift the malt pipe out. If we use a manual hand winch crane I think the cost for a stainless brewing stand would be about $400. You could use it to store the BrewZilla on. The stand would allow you to lift out the malt pipe, rotate the crane arm so it moves the malt pipe to the side and then lower the malt pipe into a bin or barrow or onto the ground.

Also with the BrewZilla 100L what type of chiller would you guys like to see. We can make a more efficient immersion chiller similar to the Hydra or if you would prefer counter flow we could just include something like this instead:
https://www.kegland.com.au/wort-heat-exchanger-counterflow-chiller-duotight-bundle.html
What are your preferences? Keen to get your input on this one.
A mobile crane would be great, so that you can move the brew around as needed...take it outside the garage to lift out the malt pipe and set it down, maybe chill down outside with the garden hose into an immersion chiller. Perhaps wheel the kit close to the fermentation fridge and pump the wort direct into the FV, to save on lifting.
Although, this means it would need to stay under 2.1m total height.

With the steam extraction how would you get this out of the room. If you are indoors and require steam extraction then you would need to put a hole in the wall so the steam can be taken out of the room.

I think for steam extraction you would be better off using the steam condenser.
Yep I brew in my garage, I have a rangehood with a 150mm duct going to a vent brick and blowing it out the side of the house. No plumbing there (yet) so this is a better option for me than a condenser. Also not so much a fan of the reduced boil off rates with a condenser.

Personally I would prefer the stand *not* to be collapsible for safety reasons, I have the room so would prioritise the certainty that 50-100 litres of wort couldn't spill due to the stand folding or collapsing.

I was planning on a making a stand (hadn't finalised design... or even really started it) and was hoping being able to store the brewery "underneath". Not sure what the working height for the stand would be and if this is even really possible though.

The RAPT temp controller box is made from ABS with UV stabilizer added to the plastic.
a coat of epoxy paint would double or triple the lifespan of the plastic in direct sun for a long period.
With respect to heat no ventilation on the RAPT temp control box is necessary. It can work in very hot ambient conditions without any issues and without any ventilation.

Excellent news on all the fronts. Thank you for the prompt and informative reply. Also, thanks for the paint tip.

... new feature ...
RAPT devices receive the Pill Bluetooth signal and then display the gravity on the display of the controller. This is a nice feature that some of you guys might not be aware of.

It's the main reason why I am looking at the RAPT temperature controller. I plan on putting a RAPT pill in my thick walled Kegland stainless steel kegmenter, inside a converted (metal) freezer on the far side of the backyard. There's not much chance that the RAPT pill will connect to my WiFi directly. However, if I replace the Inkbird and mount a RAPT temperature controller next to / above the freezer it should work as a Bluetooth to WiFi relay, thus giving me both connectivity and a user interface on the far side of the backyard. That should work, right?

How long is the temperature probe cable? Is there a maximum length if I need to extend it? Currently I have a 2.2m probe cable with close to no slack, so a 2.5~3.0m temp probe cable would be ideal.

Are there any plans for a RAPT spunding valve? Basically a device that can monitor the pressure, upload telemetry and reduce the pressure when it reaches a programmed threshold. Given how quickly the pressure can rise during high fermentation, it would probably need to be mains operated so that it can perform continuous monitoring and have a PRV so that if there are issues it would fail safe.

Yes the BrewZilla 65L units that are purchased in USA are different to the ones sold in Europe. It's really best to purchase in the country that you plan to use the unit.
Thank you for this reply, as you'll see from my question I'm aware that the unit is different. Plug etc.
My question is re the pump on the US brewzilla 65 are you able to answer that question, what is different other than the plug and perhaps volume markings.
Circuit board still runs with 220V input as per Australia and Europe? Or is it that US electrons are different?

I built a foldable stand. Flat packs quite nicely. Being wood unfortunately it is a little heavy and I'm thinking of making a version 2.0 out of steel.

I did notice the gravity on he front of my controller, especially cause its in my garage, I knew what the gravity was as soon as I got out of my car.

Nice work. This is a really neat device.

A mobile crane would be great, so that you can move the brew around as needed...take it outside the garage to lift out the malt pipe and set it down, maybe chill down outside with the garden hose into an immersion chiller. Perhaps wheel the kit close to the fermentation fridge and pump the wort direct into the FV, to save on lifting.
Although, this means it would need to stay under 2.1m total height.

Yes I think the 2.1m total height should be fine. This gives us enough space to lift out the malt pipe.

Back