Kegking one way check valve issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lethaldog

Reaction score
Got one of these for my co2 system the other week and just installed it, its the plastic push in no clamp type with the red end and I've done a pressure test and I have a slight leak (lost 5 psi in about 6 hours) anyone use these and had the same issue? Is there an easy fix or should I ditch it and get a clamp on version?

Cheers
Leigh

I just disconnected the hoses and the cut was a little rough so I tidied the ends up, reconnected and gave them a good pull to bed them in and did a quick water test, seems ok so fingers crossed it was just my poor workmanship, if not I'll send it back!

Cheers
Leigh

Smear a little keg lube around the end of the tube before you push it in, it will help it slide through and seal against the o-ring inside.

Batz said:
I used five these for a few years without an issue. Coldspace has them now and I bet they are working fine.
Return it for a replacement.

This is what I use now and they are worth every cent!

http://www.nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/kegging/other-disconnect-cmb-gas-ball-lock-disconnect-mfl-thread-with-check-valve
These sound great. I have a check valve built into the regulator and one in the manifold, will 10 - 12 psi open these ok? I have one line into the fridge which splits into 4 lines/disconnects and 4 kegs.

I use these for all my push-in fitting, where ever possible.

http://kegking.com.au/8mm-joiner-push-in-to-barb.html

90% of the time they seal a lot better than going straight on the tube, also the push-in fitting doesn't damage these fitting, unlike the tube, which can get scored from repeated connect and disconnects.

I've seen plastic ones around as well, used for RV plumbing and stuff like that, John Guest make them I believe.

I have encountered SOME push-in fitting that don't like these brass connectors, however. They don't seem to have the necessary "bite" to grip onto brass. so YMMV...

Coldspace said:
Clean straight cuts are a must
i re cut the ends yesterday and it's a lot better but still a slight leak, pressured up to 20 psi turned gas off and lost about 7-8 psi since 4:00 pm yesterday [emoji35][emoji35] maybe I'll have to check again

Use keg lube around the hose end and make sure that you have pushed the tube hard into the unit to the stop, passed the stainless grip ring. Then pull it back hard so it grips. Hope this will work for you.

grott said:
These sound great. I have a check valve built into the regulator and one in the manifold, will 10 - 12 psi open these ok? I have one line into the fridge which splits into 4 lines/disconnects and 4 kegs.

I always have 4 kegs connected to co2 in the fridge with 2 connected to beer taps. Due to the 2 check valves at present, dispensing pressure on 4mm id beer lines is set at 14psi with top results. Do you think I'll have to increase this if I add the check valve disconnect to all 4 kegs?

Lethaldog said:
i re cut the ends yesterday and it's a lot better but still a slight leak, pressured up to 20 psi turned gas off and lost about 7-8 psi since 4:00 pm yesterday [emoji35][emoji35] maybe I'll have to check again
Are you sure that is the only place in your system that you could be leaking gas from? Lots of places between the bottle and the kegs where gas can escape.

Lethaldog said:
Never had a leak before and it's the only change I've made!
Fair enough.

I've changed a fitting in the past and ended up with a leak elsewhere from jiggling the lines around.

Batz said:
I used five these for a few years without an issue. Coldspace has them now and I bet they are working fine.
Return it for a replacement.

This is what I use now and they are worth every cent!

http://www.nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/kegging/other-disconnect-cmb-gas-ball-lock-disconnect-mfl-thread-with-check-valve
Thanks Batz, 4 of them arrived yesterday, changed over and fitted them this morning to the 4 keg lines. Bloody excellent so far and the John Guest fittings worked a treat. Tested all for leaks, great. Gives real confidence as every now and again beer would get into a gas line (my fault) and then have to pull apart, clean sanitise, re-check for leaks = pain in the arse. Not now!
Cheers

Back