Kegging. What do I need?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for a seal kit. Just doing a couple of 2nd hand kegs I bought recently and one of the liquid post had it's own little eco system growing in it..... For a few bucks it's great piece of mind. :p

2ah8tmq.jpg

Disagree with the no clamp comment before.

I lost a full keg when the beer line blew off the barb. Blew the fridge door open and sprayed the whole place with beer.

Clamp everything.

Ive got 3 of the "race track" kegs. The o rings for the lods are the same but the lids are a pita to put back in. Pepsi kegs are much better if you can get em at a decent price.

Topher said:
Disagree with the no clamp comment before.

I lost a full keg when the beer line blew off the barb. Blew the fridge door open and sprayed the whole place with beer.

Clamp everything.
Agreed. Cheap insurance, especially if you have many kegs, but only one gas bottle.

I got a couple of them. They aren't as bad as you think. The lid should have a tab on one side. From memory the tab side goes in first, rotate, then presto! Annoying until you realise the method.

nosco said:
Ive got 3 of the "race track" kegs. The o rings for the lods are the same but the lids are a pita to put back in. Pepsi kegs are much better if you can get em at a decent price.

Actually, what I meant to say was... They're useless, I'll buy them ;)

lael said:
I got a couple of them. They aren't as bad as you think. The lid should have a tab on one side. From memory the tab side goes in first, rotate, then presto! Annoying until you realise the method.
More important is to remember this procedure in reverse. Otherwise lid gets seriously stuck,

welly2 said:
I shall get a shopping list together from all your advice and go from there. Looking forward to kegging goodness!
Then you have the added option of bottling your Draught Beer too. One,two, or as many bottles you want. The beer is proven, cleared and with no sediment. B)

Oh, quick question - should there be a seal of some kind between the gas/liquid posts and the keg itself - ie. where the posts screw into the keg? The kegs I've got didn't have one although there's a big of muck in the socket where the posts screw into that suggests there might have been one at some point in its life. My concern is there wouldn't be a tight seal between the post and the keg.

Cheers!

welly2 said:
Oh, quick question - should there be a seal of some kind between the gas/liquid posts and the keg itself - ie. where the posts screw into the keg? The kegs I've got didn't have one although there's a big of muck in the socket where the posts screw into that suggests there might have been one at some point in its life. My concern is there wouldn't be a tight seal between the post and the keg.

Cheers!
Have a look at the video linked prior. If not mentioned there, no.
Cheers,
D80

welly2 said:

Cheers!
Shouldn't need one as the o-ring between the dip tube and the top of the threaded post on the keg provides the seal. But then I don't have those specific kegs, so YMMV

lael said:
Actually, what I meant to say was... They're useless, I'll buy them ;)
Sorry lael. They where my first kegs so ive grown quite attached to them.

keep on the lookout for 2nd hand kegerators - can save you alot of time and money.

welcome to kegging, it's great!

as it's pretty exciting stuff, you may also need keg lube.

More kegging progress. So was kindly gifted another keg. Although it's a bit of an unusual one, see attached:

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

It looks pretty clean, looks solid enough but not sure what's going on with those posts. I've got a single disconnect for it but not sure if I can get a second one. Anyone seen this before? I'm sure someone else has. Does anyone know if I can replace it with ball locks?

Cheers!

Where do you keep getting this stuff from?
I'm moving to Darwin...big stubbies, backpakers :icon_chickcheers: and now free kegs apparently.

Benn said:
Where do you keep getting this stuff from?
I'm moving to Darwin...big stubbies, backpakers :icon_chickcheers: and now free kegs apparently.
Benn said:
They look like Nitto connections to me, you could run your Framing guns off that keg.
My mate is what we call in the trade a "scavenging *******". Also came with a pluto beer gun, so that's me sorted.

Nitto connections.. I know nothing about them. I'm wondering/hoping I might be able to get more standard fittings on it. I shall have to try out the ball lock posts I've got and see if I have any luck.

Looking at that Alastair I'd say the original ball lock posts have been removed and then fitted with the above. I have the male threaded ball lock posts from the other day which are no good for converting the corny style pin lock kegs I have (female threads) so you are welcome to them.

Mozz said:
Looking at that Alastair I'd say the original ball lock posts have been removed and then fitted with the above. I have the male threaded ball lock posts from the other day which are no good for converting the corny style pin lock kegs I have (female threads) so you are welcome to them.
I got a bunch of his posts and disconnects but actually the images above don't really show the proper scale. They're far bigger than the standard ball lock posts. about 1/4 wider. I've spoken to someone who might have some disconnects for this type so we'll see what happens with that. Otherwise I'll stick it on gumtree for someone else to have. It only cost me a 6 pack of Coopers Sparkling and I had one of them, and it also came with that Pluto beer gun so either way, I'm good. Plus got those two Coca-Cola kegs. Don't really need to get too carried away at the moment!

Couple of Q's,
I'll hopefully be plumbing my Keg setup tomorrow and need some advice regarding beer line length. I have 8 meter's of 6mm (int. diam) Valpar "Andale Python-Superflex" beer line. Setup is the standard upright fridge freezer with the kegs inside and taps through the door. My taps are 2x entry level $30 cheap variety. I've had a search around but still a bit unsure on the optimal beer line length for the 6mm line. Not sure if it's relevant or not but I prefer my beer to be lower on carbonation and not overly cold.

Cheers,

Back