Kegging question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDOGG2

Reaction score
Im very new to this, I will be kegging my first brew in a week or so, my issue is the kegerator/CO2 is at my other house. Can I keg the beer without the CO2 here? I plan to keg the beer then drive to my other property which is about 30 mins away and refridgerate and carbonate with the CO2 for a week or so.

You will need the CO2 to clean your lines etc... then you fill.. then purge O2.. then can store or gas...

Thanks, so are you saying that I can fill the keg without CO2 and then take the full keg to the other house to complete the CO2 process?

you can but people are always scared of Oxidation problems and the potential f contamination.. your call

You can. Generally people flush the keg with CO2 and purge first to limit oxidation on transfer but it is a big vessel and you can fill it with liquid and seal it.

I'd recommend flushing first as its a tried and true practice.

Just fill it right to the top if possible. People have been racking brews for clarification for a long time...

What about if I use a co2 keg charger whilst kegging? Will that work until I can get the keg to the fridge and main co2 bottle?

Yep, use it to purge the headspace after pouring the beer.

hi i am new to brewing and will be kegging. I just put on my first brew. So do you fill the keg through the lid or through the beer out connection whilst the keg has co2 in it?

Fill thru the opening or the "out" post. Purge the keg first or you will have trouble opening the lid or blowing CO2 out the post and into your beer and disturbing the trub.

For the OP, priming the keg with sugar before carefully filling will reduce oxidation anxiety and give you nicely carbed beer within a week without using your CO2 (filling the keg 5-7 points above FG can give the same result but with more of a "Real Ale" carb. level.

NewtownClown said:
For the OP, priming the keg with sugar before carefully filling will reduce oxidation anxiety and give you nicely carbed beer within a week without using your CO2 (filling the keg 5-7 points above FG can give the same result but with more of a "Real Ale" carb. level.
Do you really add the sugar before the beer, last time I tried that it released all absorbed CO2 in the beer, made a big bloody mess and my house smell like Hefe for about a week.

Yob said:
diluted like for bulk priming should sort that out. :)

Hmmmm, for some reason I never thought of that, I just throw the dextrose in after filling the keg.

You are introducing nucleation sites if dumping sugar in undiluted. Dissolve the sugar first, I thought that was a given. No different to bulk priming except the beer is not then transferred to bottles...

Does beer age in kegs ? & how long can you leave a brew in a keg.

Latest posts

Back