kegging in a corny

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pump21

Reaction score
Morning all. Its my first time kegging into a corny. Does anyone know how long after kegging it will be ready to gas up and drink or is it straight away. I asked my local home brew shop and there was a young girl in there im guessing the owners daughter but she didnt really have any idea. Ive had it fermenting for 2 weeks and i am looking at kegging over the weekend.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers

I usually keg, gas and drink it on the same day
Then leave it for a week or 2 to age

If it's finished fermenting (gravity stable over 2/3 days and close to expectations), a lot of beer can be kegged and hooked up to the gas straight away, but it'll take a week or so to carb up. That said, most beers are better with a little conditioning and/or clearing either in the fermentor or in the keg. The advantage of doing it in the fermentor is that a lot of the yeast and other particles that will drop out, drop out in the fermentor, not the keg.

Generally, I wait a week or two post fermentation to keg, and a week after that it's usually ready. That's for most normal gravity ales.

It really depends on when you need to drink it. If it's urgent I will transfer beer into the keg, carbonate using the Ross method and then be drinking it about 15 minutes later. If you have a week or two you can attach it to the gas at serving pressure. In my experience the beer clears up a lot after 2-3 weeks in the keg and flavours change and develop as well.

One thing I would add is that if you want to carbonate quickly the beer needs to be cold, around 3C seems to work well for me.

You can connect the gas straight away.

Couple of tips:
Purge the headspace with CO2 to remove any oxygen (turn gas on with PRV open).
To carbonate, you can either leave it connected at serving pressure 70kpa, or force carb by setting it to 300 - 400 kpa and rock the keg back and forth about 100 times in one minute.

If you force carb you'll need to burp the keg after a few minutes, connect to serving pressure and leave for a day at least.

Good luck with the kegging, it fuels the obsession.

You're on the slippery slope my friend, no turning back once that first one's kegged!

Ditto to everyone else's comments, depending what it is will determine the optimal "maturing" time, but as it's your first you know you're going to be drinking some of it. Couple of weeks is good, i find some of my IPAs can do with 3 weeks, lagers ..... well that's a whole chapter....

Read up on the Ross carbing method,you do need to chill the keg well or you're going to be covered in a fine layer of foam!

Leaving at serving pressure it will be fairly well carbed after a week. Although, depending upon style, it will normally benefit from 2-4 weeks in the keg. If you cold-condition before transferring to keg, you can do the 'force carb' method and drink within half an hour.

If I'm in a rush I'll either force carb or leave for 2-3 days at 2-3x serving pressure, but I normally prefer to let them condition at serving pressure for a week or two before drinking.

EDIT: I just noticed this is a double-thread and has already been answered.

Latest posts

Back