Kegging/gas Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetfoley

Reaction score
Heya,

So I just got my kegging set up and I have put my first brew into a keg, I'm carbonating it at 250kPa for 40 hours. Problem is that my Gas bottle (big ass one) read 6000kPa when I got it and now its 4000kPa... at this rate I'll get 3 kegs outta a whole bottle. I'm sure thats not normal, is it? What could be causing it?

I will start force carbonating as soon as I get a one way valve to stop liquid buggering up my regulator.

Nuther question;

If I wanna age my brew for a month or two (or try to) should I carbonate it after the ageing? Or will the keg hold the pressure and I can carbonate early and then age it?

My gear is 2nd hand and I havent replaced any seals, but it all looks in great condition... I hear no hissing (after the presure equalizes in the gas bottle>keg).

Heya,

So I just got my kegging set up and I have put my first brew into a keg, I'm carbonating it at 250kPa for 40 hours. Problem is that my Gas bottle (big ass one) read 6000kPa when I got it and now its 4000kPa... at this rate I'll get 3 kegs outta a whole bottle. I'm sure thats not normal, is it? What could be causing it?

I will start force carbonating as soon as I get a one way valve to stop liquid buggering up my regulator.

Nuther question;

If I wanna age my brew for a month or two (or try to) should I carbonate it after the ageing? Or will the keg hold the pressure and I can carbonate early and then age it?

My gear is 2nd hand and I havent replaced any seals, but it all looks in great condition... I hear no hissing (after the presure equalizes in the gas bottle>keg).

When you get your bottle filled, weigh it... that will tell you how much you are using....

Right now I would check all the lines / connections for leaks (with soapy water).

When you get your bottle filled, weigh it... that will tell you how much you are using....

Right now I would check all the lines / connections for leaks (with soapy water).

I would do that too, but i wouldnt worry too much (unless you have excess usage). My bottle goes rapidly down to 1000kpa then stays there for ages (months). I get about 5-6 months out of 4.5kg of gas, some people get more than a year out of the same bottle as me.

Paul

Its probably temp related, the needle will go up and down with the temp change in the room.

And the second question? relating to how long a keg will hold its carbonation stored at room temp (or chilled if it makes a huge diff)?

Your gas bottle reg pressure will drop significantly with temperature, have you got your gas bottle in a fridge or cool room?

If the keg is in good nick, I have found no issues with leaving them for up to 6 months. I say 6 months as that is the limit of my exeperience, but I don't see any reason it would not have been fine for longer than that. The temperature of the keg once carbonated should not make much difference on how long the carbonation is held. It is important to chill the keg before connecting up for serving etc. As the kegs get warmer trhe pressure will rise, but providing there's no leaks, you won't lose carbonation, once you chill the keg the CO2 will dissolve back into the beer and the pressure inside the keg will drop.

Fear_n_Loath.

Back