Kegerator From Ebay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francismcphail

Reaction score
I purchased like I think a few have also done a kegerator off ebay. Pinnacle Wholesalers also had one listed a while back.

Now after putting the fridge on it's back for 10 - 15 mins to put on the castors, I've found that the fridge fires up but isn't cooling at all.

Not being any type of fridge expert, would having the unit on it's back for that period of time have let some of the oil(?) from the compressor leak through the pipes and stop it from working for a period of time?

Just wondering what else I can do to self diagnose before looking for warranty support? ... (dreading this actually.)

I am no fridge expert either,

But did you let it sit for a while, at least an hour or so after you put it back upright?

Some bad and good news here

No it was on for about an hour, off now though... will leave it sit overnight and plug the bugger in tomorrow morning.

I am no fridge expert either,

But did you let it sit for a while, at least an hour or so after you put it back upright?

Some bad and good news here

I bought a new fridge a few months back and they laid it down on my ute they said before I turned it on to let it sit up right for 24 hours

Yes, leave it for a few hours minimum. The oil from the compressor runs out when it is laid down, and it needs to be allowed to run back in before you start it up. If you let it run, it will burn out the compressor and you will have an expensive little box that will never cool again.

Good Luck!

Ok so I left the unit off overnight and have plugged it in. How would an uneducated person in the ways of refridgeration check to see fi the compressor was buggered?

I'm hearing the unit make a click sound every 5 or so minutes, and can hear what I beleive is the compressor humming away.

I've stuck my hand down the back of the unit inside and can't see any change in temp on the back plate. All be it.. I do have 3 full cornies in the fridge as well so maybe they are just soaking up any cooling cooling being produced.

Seem's like it might be a 'Relax and have a home brew' moment.

Yes, leave it for a few hours minimum. The oil from the compressor runs out when it is laid down, and it needs to be allowed to run back in before you start it up. If you let it run, it will burn out the compressor and you will have an expensive little box that will never cool again.

Good Luck!

Ok so I left the unit off overnight and have plugged it in. How would an uneducated person in the ways of refridgeration check to see fi the compressor was buggered?

I'm hearing the unit make a click sound every 5 or so minutes, and can hear what I beleive is the compressor humming away.

I've stuck my hand down the back of the unit inside and can't see any change in temp on the back plate. All be it.. I do have 3 full cornies in the fridge as well so maybe they are just soaking up any cooling cooling being produced.

Seem's like it might be a 'Relax and have a home brew' moment.

My fermenting fridge died on me recently.... If the compressor is seized the start relay will fire and with in a few seconds the overload will cut power to it. So if it powers up and runs for an extended period it should be fine. If it clicks on and then stops, waits for the overload to reset and clicks on and then stops, it is probably stuffed.

edit: 'Relax and have a home brew'

Latest posts

Back