Keg Washer In Action

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregs

Kevs nude brewing bothers me!
Reaction score
Some new pic's of my keg washer in action I washed 5 kegs this morning for the first time and at 40 P.S.I the cleaning job is great. The unit preformed better than expected. I also washed and sanitized a 60 litre fermenter with the unit and the job was great. The time it took from set up to completion was 23 minuets worth of work with some first time dicking around. I thought that was ok for 5 kegs and a fermenter. The wash cycle was a quick rinse with the hose then on the washer for a PBW flush and drain then a Saniclean flush and drain.

Keg_Washer_3_July_09_002.jpg

Keg_Washer_3_July_09__007.jpg

I saw the pics in your other topic, but now seeing it in action is just awesome.
If only I had the space.

Doc

Yea thanks Doc for the comment I've seen the pic's of your set up, it's like you built the house around your brew gear. I'm so jealous ( one day may be) I'm sure you could squeeze it in though.

Keg_Washer_3_July_09_004.jpg

Keg_Washer_3_July_09_003.jpg

Wow that is amazing. I am ever so impressed.
Congrats, great job.

Josh

Thanks Josh; It works really well, is there any other home built keg washers around , if so I would like to see or hear from there owners.

after seeing your awsome build gregs,I doubt if anyone would post theirs unless they were a rocket scientist with their own engineering buisiness :icon_drool2: A1 job
Russ

after seeing your awsome build gregs,I doubt if anyone would post theirs unless they were a rocket scientist with their own engineering buisiness :icon_drool2: A1 job
Russ

Thanks ZABOND; I'm no rocket scientist or engineer, although it did take some working out, would love to hear from others, there experiences ect.

Jed; Looking at some of the gear people have on this site My keg washer wouldn't rate. Christ theres some bling factor on this site. Cheers

I missed the other thread until now, fantastic idea and implementation!

And good to see another tinkerer and gear-head here.

There are plans building to have the brewbot self cleaning, so I will have to steal some ideas.

Zizzle; I don't think a self cleaning brew pot would be to hard to do, although something to clean all your gear is what I'd be doing. let me know your thoughts on your plans I'd love to help. Ceers.

Nice work gregs, you've inspired me.

My latest brewery bling is a humble stainless double laundry trough. In the past I've used a couple of large storage crates from Bunnings which I fill with hot napisan and cold sanitiser on brewday (everything goes into the hot napisan for a wash then into the cold sanitiser, that way I always know where everything is and it's always sanitised, whether it needs to be or not). The laundry trough should just make it all more convenient (and, well, shinier).

Seeing your keg washer in action got me thinking. I could easily make up a little hose adaptor that goes from the general brewery plumbing to a beer-out QD. Then just stand the keg upside down in the laundry trough, hook up the March pump to a supply of hot cleaning solution (eg while cleaning the system after a brew) and pump nice hot cleaner directly into the beer-out post, thereby blasting the bottom of the keg around the diptube and hopefully giving all the insides a good clean at the same time. All without actually having to lift any keg that isn't empty.

Reckon that would work? B)

Gregs,
Really nice work mate, simply a work of art. I see that you asked if others have an automated keg washer..........well I have been working on one for a bit, and I have some questions for you if you don't mind??????
Where did you get the pump and what sort of cash do they run at???????
The upright spray wands, do you have a spray nozzle/defuser on the top?????
And how did you tap off the uprights to add the dis-connects?????

Some of the things that have had me stumped, well not stumped but unsure what the best way to do it is. And mate I think yours is a pisser, and next time I'm up that way I'll give you a call and organise a beer (If thats alright)

Jay

jayandcath; Thanks for the kind remarks and your interest,I will help in any way I can, and you are welcome around for a beer and chat any time. The pump that I chose will set you back around $1.000 but don't dispair I chose that pump so in the future I can go to a complete hot wash system and this requirers a larger than necessary volume of water as hot water is less viscous (thinner) than could water = $$$. You can keep your cost well below that in many ways. So the pump that you see in the pics is a Grundfos with all 316 stainless internals with the required chemical seals and also seals that have a rating of temperatures up to 110 degrees. The risers are 3/4 inch ID and this size is to take the volume that will be pumped when useing cold water. The quik conects were simply drilled with hand drill and taped with 1/4 inch. At the moment I have no difusers, the outlets are open ends that measure 9 mm and at the volumes I can pump is more than enough to blast every internal square inch. I know this through testing with clear 60 litre contaners. I'm in the proses of making 360 degree spray nozzles as the cost of those absolutely floored me at between $400 to $700 each. But you can make them for around $40 each. The questions you have asked has taken me over 12 months to come up with the right answers to. I will PM you my phone number as there will be many questions if you go with your build.

Nice work gregs, you've inspired me.

My latest brewery bling is a humble stainless double laundry trough. In the past I've used a couple of large storage crates from Bunnings which I fill with hot napisan and cold sanitiser on brewday (everything goes into the hot napisan for a wash then into the cold sanitiser, that way I always know where everything is and it's always sanitised, whether it needs to be or not). The laundry trough should just make it all more convenient (and, well, shinier).

Seeing your keg washer in action got me thinking. I could easily make up a little hose adaptor that goes from the general brewery plumbing to a beer-out QD. Then just stand the keg upside down in the laundry trough, hook up the March pump to a supply of hot cleaning solution (eg while cleaning the system after a brew) and pump nice hot cleaner directly into the beer-out post, thereby blasting the bottom of the keg around the diptube and hopefully giving all the insides a good clean at the same time. All without actually having to lift any keg that isn't empty.

Reckon that would work? B)

Hey Wort; that was my original thought, it all started from a plastic tub, the idea just got out of hand though. cheers

Keg_Washer_28_June_09_001.jpg

I dont think a march pump would like trying to push through a QD, the pressure required may be too high causing the pump to stall.. (if i understand correctly)

Back