Keg Tap Choice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_yobbo

Reaction score
I'm in the process of researching what I need and want as far as a keg setup goes and wondering if there are any recommendations on taps for a keg fridge that is located outside.

There are intentions of building a decent outdoor pergola but presently I only have a small tin half shed which presently is the home for my brew fridge.

If I have fridge door mounted taps, they are bound to cope a small amount of sunlight (through shade cloth) plus a bit of rain if the wind is blowing from the wrong direction (not common but bound to happen at some stage).

So, are chrome plated taps going to last or is stainless steel a better purchase for the conditions?

To start off why not a cheap Bronco, you have to open the fridge for a beer but your can consider other taps over your brew.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=729

Batz

Food for thought. That would certainly get around the weather factor, and would make the initial purchase cheaper. .... But it doesn't look as awesome. I did have my heart on seeing a nice par of taps with a drip tray on the front of the fridge. Perhaps go the hand tap for now and upgrade later.

Food for thought. That would certainly get around the weather factor, and would make the initial purchase cheaper. .... But it doesn't look as awesome. I did have my heart on seeing a nice par of taps with a drip tray on the front of the fridge. Perhaps go the hand tap for now and upgrade later.
The good thing about doing it this way is that the bronco will still be useful after you get your upgrade

If you are outside, i would be getting a gun inside the fridge so you don't get mouldies growing in your tap through the day.
My 2c

I agree with starting with a bronco tap. I went via this route and I still use it to this day. I also recommend eventually checking out the Perlicks. I have 2 from my fridge and bought them from the US eBay bloke. Very happy and cheap. I bought 2xPerlick taps, 2x 3inch shanks. I also recommend getting those john guest fittings from the start. So handy and less stuffing around with lines and barbs!

Cheers for response. I think I'm convinced going the cheap bronco (or similar) to begin with. I assume this has the added benifit of taking the kit to a mates place with relative ease (ie, not taking the whole fridge).

Latest posts

Back