Keg pouring problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartf

Reaction score
Im sure this has been asked a million times before so feel free to post a link if possible. Ive just got into kegging and have had an ongoing problem where the keg will pour a few glasses fine then next time i go to pull a pint there is no flow. After a while it cones good again until the next time. I'm force carbing and using 5mm id beer line at 3m length so far and have the serving pressure at 15psi. I'm sure it is a learning curve to get the system balanced but hoping someone can give me some pointers because theres nothing more annoying than going to pull a nice pint and leaving with an empty glass!

Been using als world method from the sticky. Carbed today and then poured a few beers after around 2 hours from the force carbing.

I'd say the beer is under carbonated thus only getting a few beers out at a time. The break allows for the 15psi to carb it up a bit more for another pour. Leave the keg on the 15psi for say 24 hours after force carb and all should be ok. You should have better results tomorrow unless really under carbed.

Ps not familiar with als method.
Cheers

This has happened to me before too. Turned out that the beer line was touching the plate on the back of the fridge and freezing . Was a bit hard to tell the line was frozen. Something to consider anyway .

If the keg is under carbed, it will still dispense as it has 15psi of pressure pushing it through. I'd agree with above and say you're probably getting some beer frozen in the line.

stilvia said:
If the keg is under carbed, it will still dispense as it has 15psi of pressure pushing it through. I'd agree with above and say you're probably getting some beer frozen in the line.
True but not knowing the system set up it can be that the pour rate is faster than the co2 input rate (Reg problems, line issues, check valve issues etc) so you start off pouring a couple of beers then hardly anything until the head space is back up to dispensing pressure, which is part of his problem.

I'd say if it was a frozen beer out line you would get a restricted pour all the time, you probably have a restricted gas in line (kinked or partially blocked) that allows the keg to go back to pressure over time. When you pour beer the pressure drops faster than the gas in line can refill.

Just realised that's what grott just said.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I'm probably being too impatient and not getting it carbed up fully before trying to pour. Checked all of my lines and they look ok so it's probably the easiest answer to this.

Latest posts

Back