Keg Posts And Quick Disconnect Fittings

• Thread starter mchitiea
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mchitiea

To all, Matt here in RAINY - COLD N. Calif.
-Over in the "U.S. keg feedback" thread, there was a question asking about the difference between Gas IN & Liquid OUT posts and Quick Disconnect fittings (QDs).
-".......Often there will be no distinguishing mark on the output post or on the corresponding hole in the keg...."

Correction: (this helps if you have a pile of Posts and need to figure out what's what;
-1. Look at the two posts. Half way down the post from the top you will see a protruding ridge around the circumference of the post. One post has a ridge that is "High and Wide". The other post has a "Short and Thin" ridge. This is the difference of why one QD fitting will not fit on the wrong Post. This applies ot ALL keg posts mfg by ALL Companies.
-2. As it applies to kegs made by Cornelius. One post has a 12-point base, the other post has a 6-point base (where the wrench goes to loosen/tighten the post)
-3. Again, with Cornelius kegs; Some of these kegs have posts that are BOTH 6-point base. These have SMALLER BASES, in O.D. then those metioned in #2. (7/8" vs. 9/16"). THESE ARE INTERCHANGABLE with the Larger base C.Kegs, because the post's INSIDE Diameter (ID) is the same.
-4. Spartanburg kegs are always "large base", 6-point on both posts and have a Different I.D. than those of C. Kegs. These ARE NOT interchangable with C.Kegs.
-5. Another way to tell the difference is: Using a Hubble Space Telescope quality magnifier, around the base "flat ridge" of the post, you may find the words "Hanson" or "Taylor".
-6. Another difference in posts is that the base of the post, where the wrench goes, FIRESTONE made kegs have a base wrench area that is "taller" than those mentioned in #s 1-5. ALSO....look at the very tip of the points of the wrench area (6-point), you will notice an indented "slash" in the metal. Cornelius and Spartanburg posts usually do not have this "slash" on each point.

Now, Repeat all that you have just read ten times and then repeat after me; "I will not mix posts. Posts are our friends. Posts make life better for all mankind. I will be kind to my posts".

- Enjoy,
Matt
C&C Distributing.
Ebay seller ID: usedequip.

Thanks Matt, excellent information for us keggers.

Posts are our friends.

I remember reading about a fellow that bought a stack of kegs, six I think. He pulled them all apart at the same time, and still hasn't got them back in the right holes.

Disassemble kegs one at a time.

I find that all Gas posts have a groove machined on the base, where the SPANNER fits. The Liquid post is bare.

I use the memonic
Grey Gas Grooved
Black Bare Beer

MHB

I've found an easy way not to mix 'em up. ;)

With your regular ball-lock keg there's a fine line etched around the bottom of the gas post. (The part where you stick your spanner/shifter).

When I'm reassembling my kegs I always repeat the mantra...

Gas has line. Gas has line. Gas has line. :lol:

Never mixed them up since. :)

Warren -

I just push the disconnect on. If its tight and wont come off, its on the wrong one. Then I smash it off with a hammer. Some people say I'm a bit rough (Hi Batz) but it works OK in the end.

My cornelius Kegs have the word in and out moulded in the rubber around the posts; you got to be an idoit to mix them up, and yes I've nearly done it. Not paying attention.
Why not just write in and out with paint pen on the rubber around each post, ok if you remove them to clean and replace, just do them one at a time.
AC

I got a couple of 3 gallon kegs from the US a year or two ago ...they are both "spartanburg" brand.
Never noticed until recently, but when I attach my disconnect to the gas in post, it doesn't seal very well.
The gas goes in, but there is also an obvious amount of gas escaping (can hear it).
It's almost as if the disconnect is pushing the poppet down to allow gas in, but the disconnect itself doesn't come down far enough to create a seal over the post!

I've only got one disconnect out of eight the appears to work well. Does anyone else have similar problems?
...my working disconnect is different from the rest in that it has a black base/collar (ball lock) ...all the rest are completely grey!

I've had a similar troubles with leaking gas over the years and have found the post o-ring to be the problem. Installing a new one fixed the problem everytime for me.

I too have a grey disconnect with black base and it is manufactured by cornelius. I'm assuming the all grey one's, perhaps similiar to this: gas_disconnect.jpg (pic from CraftBrewer website) are made by another company. I wouldn't have thought there would be much of a difference in the way they seal.

If a new o-ring doesn't fix the problem & if the disconnect is plastic perhaps it's worn out internally and a new one might be the way to go?

Should add I use firestone kegs with both plastic 'cornelius' and stainless 'taylor-turret' ball-lock disconnects, and have never used spartanburg.

I've had a similar troubles with leaking gas over the years and have found the post o-ring to be the problem. Installing a new one fixed the problem everytime for me.

If a new o-ring doesn't fix the problem & if the disconnect is plastic perhaps it's worn out internally and a new one might be the way to go?

Ahhhhhhhhh, yes!!! How stupid of me!! I didn't even consider the post o-ring :eek:

Thanks BENJAMOO ...new o-rings installed and problem solved :super:

I too have a grey disconnect with black base and it is manufactured by cornelius. I'm assuming the all grey one's, perhaps similiar to this: View attachment 14232 (pic from CraftBrewer website) are made by another company. I wouldn't have thought there would be much of a difference in the way they seal.

Should add I use firestone kegs with both plastic 'cornelius' and stainless 'taylor-turret' ball-lock disconnects, and have never used spartanburg.
No offence intended to other suppliers but I buy genuine cornellius connects.The cheaper ones are not made to the same standard as the genuine cornelius parts,IE plastic center pins on the knock offs and stainless steel on the genuine ones.Some will disagree.It comes back to if you want to spend the extra $3.00 dollars.

Back