Keg Mash Tun Lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintmo

Reaction score
So im looking at a lid for the keg mash tun ive made, what does everyone else use, im afraid with the size of the hole i cut in the top (which of course wasnt measured :p) im not going to be able to find another lid that will fit it.

any ideas on making one and i guess i should insulate it maybe? :p... On a side note i do have a full can of expanda foam lool

cheers clint <3

I believe BeerBelly's BrewBoy used something like a stock-pot lid covered in AeroFlex. I guess it depends on just how big the hole is. Cheap option could be a sufficiently large, round bit of wood covered in camping mat material. Just a thought.

Safeway have a 'Multi-Fit' pot/pan lid that I think is 22cm.....
Invert handle and you should have a decent lid. - I use a folded towel on top too.. :p

That my friend is a brilliant idea..I have been looking for something to make a lid out of for my HLT.....EDIT...damn my opening is approx 32cm in diameter....

That my friend is a brilliant idea..I have been looking for something to make a lid out of for my HLT.....EDIT...damn my opening is approx 32cm in diameter....

May be bigger bro - will go measure now...

EDIT: Measured: Would sit in anything under a, and including, 31 cm! NB: I think it is named a 32 cm lid... So check it out Pok you may good...

If I can recall, Screwy had made a lid out of a piece of Styrofoam with another little piece as a little handle and then alfoiled it...

:icon_cheers: CB

May be bigger bro - will go measure now...

EDIT: Measured: Would sit in anything under a, and including, 31 cm! NB: I think it is named a 32 cm lid... So check it out Pok you may good...

Hmmm nice...I will check out the local shops tomorrow if I get a chance...if it doesn't fit I can always return it I guess.

A few years ago I used a similar trick but purchased one the same size as the rim so I could perch it when cooling while allowing steam to still escape.
Picture_1.png,Picture_2.png

If you keep the circle you cut from the top of the keg, get some scrap alloy, metal, stainless what ever, and rivet 3 tabs onto the circle, 120 degrees apart from each other you have now created a perfect lid for your kettle, HLT etc. To make it even better, go to clarke rubber and buy some rubber to run around the edge of the lid if you want a better seal. If you have the type of keg where the pressure valve and stem can be removed leaving a whole through the centre of your now new kettle lid, just pop a rubber demijoin stopper in there and maybe even a air lock if you like, still releases the pressure but helps to retain the heat.

If you keep the circle you cut from the top of the keg, get some scrap alloy, metal, stainless what ever, and rivet 3 tabs onto the circle, 120 degrees apart from each other you have now created a perfect lid for your kettle, HLT etc.

+1 for this, I have done this for both my HLT and my kettle, I had the welder actually spot weld four stainless tabs on, works a treat.

Doogiechap, that's a sweet lookin' kettle u made there. I'm guessing u just groung the excess down after cutting the top ring down to leave the handles? Its a very smooth looking job..where did u find a glass lid that size? biggest I've found so far is 32cm for $15 from Kmart.

Back