Keg level

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might as well keep it going here

Peteru nice one but when at the bottom its hard to reach with my keezer

The thing with the magnets is you have to put it in once carbed by opening the purged keg

No biggie I spose do the same for keg hopping

Maybe stethoscope & tapping for sound difference ?

I just tried the Kinder Suprise egg idea and it works. My 3y old son is a KSE addict so i got 6 eggs together in no time and i got the BB's and magnets of the net a while ago. I only got around to trying it tonight.

I tried it with 1 magnet. I put the magnet in the egg and put it in a bowl of starsan for 5 min to test for leaks. The keg was about 1/5 empty so i did have to put my hand in and push it to the edge to attract it to another magnet. Easy. Put the BB on no probs. I have only poured 1 beer so far but i could see it move a very very tiny bit.

Time will tell if the egg leaks and how it will work. I have a full keg in there as well that ill test it on later. Wondering how it will work near tue top weld. So far so good.

I forgot the pic. Not that it makes a difference. Im not sure what it will be like with a full keezer though.

1469779709204.jpg

nosco said:
I forgot the pic. Not that it makes a difference. Im not sure what it will be like with a full keezer though.
get a red permanent marker and colour up that ball bearing.

nosco said:
I just tried the Kinder Suprise egg idea and it works........
Time will tell if the egg leaks and how it will work.
I did some tests with a Kinder egg in a keg full of water and found that it leaked quite badly, so I figured it would eventually fill up and sink.
I'm now testing 2 little plastic dripper bottles (vaping liquid bottles) in 2 kegs of beer - been 24 hours and they haven't sunk yet.
Each one has 2 ×10mm magnets inside and 3 × 4mm ball bearings on the outside. That combination works pretty well with my old heavy kegs, but I reckon I'll need a bit less magnetism for the newer, thinner kegs.

Well I just bottled the whole keg. The BB hasn't moved and the egg is still stuck in the same place inside the keg :lol: So I guess ill call that one a failure. Obviously the magnet was too strong. I haven't opened the egg yet to see if leaked. It wasn't in there very long though.

To get the magnets to float in the keg, put a magnet in a food saver vacuum packing bag, but leave enough air in the bag to make it float. Heat seal the bag several times around the edges, then cut using a sharp knife through the outer most heat seal line.

That should leave a neat edge, without any creases for bacteria to hide. It's also easy enough to make a new pouch. Good quality bags can be boiled as well, if you want to go into that much trouble when sanitising, but a dunk in StarSan solution should do the trick.

nosco said:
The BB hasn't moved and the egg is still stuck in the same place inside the keg .......Obviously the magnet was too strong.
Yeah, the same happened to me when testing with water. 3 magnets was too much and just clamped the ball bearings to the side of the keg.
Just had a couple of pints with the new setup......success....my balls have dropped!
I like peteru's idea about using vac-seal bags. Might have to give that a try too.

Latest posts

Back