Keg level

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rude

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these from Ibrew

Keg Level Indicator (Ballandkeg) from $24.95
Do you know how they work ?

Just watched video now to find a magnet inside a float
cause $25 is a bit steep I recon

I am starting to build something to track the amount dispensed. I bought a couple of hall-effect flow meters (they are for water) and am writing some code for an arduino to keep track of the amount of that has been dispensed. I need to get some fittings to connect it between the keg and the taps (and i need to get taps.. and a co2 cylinder).

IMG_3071.jpg

Just saw these and the kinder surprise idea is pretty good... might have to try it out

mattyg8 said:
Just saw these and the kinder surprise idea is pretty good... might have to try it out
Yeah, that's a great idea. I'm going to give it a shot, but I reckon there will be a bit of trial & error with different magnet & ball bearing sizes.
It'll probably take all the fun out of those "I've just gotta have the last beer or two out of this keg, so I can get a fresh one in" situations.
You know, the ones where you end up maggotted after about 3 hours and the bloody keg is still pouring!

Crakkers said:
...You know, the ones where you end up maggotted after about 3 hours and the bloody keg is still pouring!
Ahh yes, the bottomless keg, and his evil cousin - "the keg that unexpectedly blows dry when you have visitors over".

rass said:
I am starting to build something to track the amount dispensed. I bought a couple of hall-effect flow meters (they are for water) and am writing some code for an arduino to keep track of the amount of that has been dispensed.
Hey rass, do check out RaspberryPints and Kegbot if you haven't already. You may be able to piggyback off their efforts, but I must say your arduino solution sounds like it's going to be a lot less clutter. That's what I hate about the open source projects, wires and sensors everywhere! We're also working on a bluetooth solution in-house that we hope to fund on Kickstarter.

Alas, nothing comes close to the elegance and simplicity of floating magnets!
magnets.png

As mentioned in another thread, I simply have a small magnetic white board on the fridge by the tap and a white board marker. I know how many pints per full keg and just mark them off. (Very accurate)
Cheers

grott said:
As mentioned in another thread, I simply have a small magnetic white board on the fridge by the tap and a white board marker. I know how many pints per full keg and just mark them off. (Very accurate)
Cheers
I get that but with 5 taps and 4 different glass sizes and 1/2 and1/4 pours on a good night that system would go side ways real quick in my house.

Yeh spot on. I only run 2 taps and use either 600ml dimple mugs ( for whole keg style ) or 425ml pints (here in SA).

Lets wait and see what digital homebrew come up with bluetoothed meters sound pretty cool and easy. (the install, the hardware dev would be ass)

^^ this... I love you guys :wub:
But seriously, get the magnets too!

magnets 2.jpg

anyone tried to hack a bathroom scale?

disable the auto off function and remote mount the LCD display outside the kegfridge?

I don't see what the problem is. I can get a clearly visible line in less than a minute using a simple hand condensation test.

Open fridge, put hand against keg and slowly move your hand down. The section where you only have the stainless steel will warm up under your hand quickly. The section that has beer will stay cold. That's usually good enough to get you a ballpark reading in 10-15 seconds. If you want it completely accurate, warm up the area where you think the transition is, then wipe that area dry. On a humid day, you will get a condensation line appearing almost straight away.

I'm all for gadgets and technology, but this just seems such a simple problem to solve with zero technology.

Bathroom scales
Write the empty weight of the keg on the side
Weigh it as you need to and subtract the difference

Just lift it up? If it's heavy it's full, if it's light it's nearly empty...

Will a keg of RIS weigh the same as a keg of mid? What if it's keg hopped?

printed forms section said:
anyone tried to hack a bathroom scale?
Yep, and it works great.
scale - 1.jpg
But I'll start a separate thread for that, coz this thread is about
magnets.jpg
:D

Latest posts

Back