Keg King Stainless Immersion Chiller - Tap/Leaks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnakeDoctor

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have one of these that they have hooked up to regular hose/taps?

Reading the instruction blurb on the website:

stainless steel immersion chillers are an easy way to chill your wort. Simply connect standard ¾ inch BSP garden hose fittings to the end and run tap water through the chiller while immersed in your wort.

Probably due to my inability but I can't seem to find 3/4 inch BSP garden hose fittings in both male and female like this design appears to use?

Also - I've used an adaptor from the plumbing section at Bunnings to go from male/female and predictably it leaks like crazy - I think the female outlet of the chiller itself on mine is missing a seal? Can anyone confirm if there is one in there?

The local brew shop that I bought it from was of very little help - they are kind of hit and miss when it comes to anything more than kit and kilo.

Cheers
SD

stainless-steel-immersion-wort-chiller-w-garden-hose-fittings-50-ft.jpg

Can't see it very clearly from your pic but garden hose fittings are generally 3/4" BSP by default. So just grab the mating fitting to what you've got there and you should be good to go.

If, per chance they've used 3/4" NPT fittings on the coil, get the plastic fittings from bunnings. And plumbers tape. Works a treat.

I might be totally missing the point where you're stuck though so take a good picture of the fittings at the end of the coil and post them up.

This is how I did mine.
Definitely no leaks from this set up

There is rubber washers between the screw on hose fittings and the fittings that are screwed onto the chiller which stops leaks

Thanks Dicko + practicalfool, the images sealed* it for me.

For anyone who finds this whilst searching for the solution, dickos idea above looks better but I did:

First one worked straight off with a regular tap connector.

For the second one, Ive inserted a rubber washer in the fitting where the red line is and the red arrow points to a 3/4 bsp male to male brass fitting that I got from bunnings.

Excuse dodgy photos / focus / poor paint work.

kkChillerConn1.jpg

kkChillerConn2.jpg

The main reason I didnt use snap ons because they tend to leak at times.
Your set up looks good.

Cheers

Back