Keg King Magnetic centrifugal pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamby

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a magnetic drive pump from keg king and im having a hell of a time to get it running efficiently. I can never seem to prime it ( get rid of air ) at all. It just spins in static motion, no output at all.
Also the tube running from the keg to the pump inlet valve seems to stop the flow of wort.

If anyone else is having issues can you please let me know how you have solved these issues.
I hope i have explain my issues correctly.

PS The pump is always below the outlet of the keg.

I just normally take off the outlet fitting slightly (camlok) until a bit of fluid comes out then turn on the pump. Inlet of pump is on the top and the side is outlet.

Gamby said:
Also the tube running from the keg to the pump inlet valve seems to stop the flow of wort.
[SIZE=11pt]This sounds more likely to be the problem rather than the pump. They need an unrestricted flow to work properly. Also could the tube be drawing air between the keg and pump?[/SIZE]

Gday Bouncingcastle but im positive i have the correct flow. With these pumps the inlet comes in from front centre and the outlet is from the top. I have it housed the way KegKing recommend.

Your probably correct S.E but why is it doing it? Its strange, although the ball valve is fully open no wort runs out, when i remove the tube from the ball valve, for half a second there is no flow and then it starts to run... This is a physics problem and im no scientist.

Gamby said:
Gday Bouncingcastle but im positive i have the correct flow. With these pumps the inlet comes in from front centre and the outlet is from the top. I have it housed the way KegKing recommend.
Yep just checking your outlet was pointing up as that would cause some of the symptoms you are experiencing.

However, if there is something dodgy with the the flow from the kettle I would look there first!

There must be too much resistance to allow the air to bleed from your lines. My pumps are below my vessels and while the HLT pump primes easily (due to less restriction) the MT pump struggles due to the false bottom plumbing and HERMS coil. Easiest solution was to T in a bleed tap at the pump inlet. I just open it into a jug until I get full flow then close it and start the pump. Also handy for flushing any grist that gets past the FB and for measuring final runnings.

Did you wire it yourself? Maybe it's running in reverse.

Due to so much deadspace at the bottom of my converted keg, i built a 90 degree copper dip tube, i am wondering if that is creating the restriction of flow.

I think i will put a three way valve on the outlet of the pump.. Not ideal but see how i go...

The resistance will be upstream of the pump outlet preventing the liquid flowing to the pump inlet. Once the liquid gets to the pump it will overcome the resistance to flow. Try lowering the pump outlet hose to below the pump and see if it starts to drain.

20150822_151958 (1280x720) (1280x720).jpg

This is how I overcame it.

Gamby said:
Yeah, he's correct.

I just checked the manual: INLET is front, OUTLET is up.

The only other thing the manual says is:

[...] it's important that the pump is:

1. Mounted below the vessel that you are pumping from.
2. The pump head is orientated so that the output for the pump is facing upwards. Failure to do so can result in cavitation and inadequate liquid flow.

Latest posts

Back