Keg help needed...sorry :P

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calobes

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a foaming issue and I know its been done to death but I just cant figure out what the problem is.

So setup pretty much is:

3m of 5mm ID beer line which should be more than enough, apparently could actually be detrimental to getting good head?

co2 inside fridge

Taps are on centre with kegs (I have a freezer on bottom Refrigerator)

Fridge at 2 - 4*c

No leaks

Want to be able to keep my pressure at 15psi for 2.5 volumes, but it comes out foamy. If I pour it perfectly I get the perfect amount of head, but I couldn't get less head if I tried.

First pour is always pretty much all foam and if I l don't pour for another 20 - 30 mins the foaming starts again.

It worries me as I would like to try a witbeir soon and that should have about 3 volumes of co2 and there is no way I could pour it at that pressure right now,

I currently have it on 10psi and still am having trouble getting the right amount of head.

Any help is much appreciated.

i reckon you have over carbed as my beer program tells me 12 psi for 2.5 at 4 degrees and 10 at 2 degrees.
also the first pour problem sounds like a warm tap problem.
whats the system is it a fridge with a tap through the door or is it a font.

It is a fridge with a tap through the door.

I didn't force carb it, just set and forget at 15psi.

I used a spreadsheet I found on this site, it might be wrong then? Overcarbonation actually makes sense as it was pouring fine a couple of days ago.

Even if it was overcarbed, I didn't think it would foam up like this. Surely other beers need to be carbed more than this beer and people dont seem to have foaming problems?

its still force carbing if you are putting pressure.
so its jut one tap the rest are fine. have you tried swapping them to eliminated the tap being the problem

barls said:
its still force carbing if you are putting pressure.
so its jut one tap the rest are fine. have you tried swapping them to eliminated the tap being the problem
Yep, both taps have the same outcome. There is currently nothing on the second tap, missus just finished an apple cider. It did have the same problem but I 100% overcarbed that when i attempted a force carb.

What program do you use for the calculations you came up with? Im hoping it is just overcarbed, and next keg ill set on 12psi instead of 15.

i use beeralchemy for my soft ware but im a mac user
you could try disconnecting the gas and bleeding the keg till it pours right

barls said:
i use beeralchemy for my soft ware but im a mac user
you could try disconnecting the gas and bleeding the keg till it pours right
So you think that overcarbed is probably the only thing that could be wrong?

calobes,barls looks to have the answer to me.
I have the same se up as you,tap through the door.
I just set and forget on 10 psi and just right.Sometimes even a bit foamy if not used for a while.

wombil said:
calobes,barls looks to have the answer to me.
I have the same se up as you,tap through the door.
I just set and forget on 10 psi and just right.Sometimes even a bit foamy if not used for a while.
I will do that from now on.

One thing that still confuses me though, if I wanted a beer to have a co2 volume of 3 - 4.5 how would it possibly pour without foam? My current beer set at 15psi i assume wouldn't be 4.5 volumes.

For example I brew a lot of ginger beer, which I would like more carbonated than an APA. If it set my reg at 15psi it would still pour foamy. This keg thing is confusing me..

Ah well, at least the kegerator looks cool :D

oh the cheats method for dropping carb in a keg is to remove disconnects (both) from the keg and degas the keg, set your gauge (in this case I'd go 10psi) use liquid disconnect on gas line and place on liquid post then pull the relief valve on the keg for five seconds wait 20 seconds, repeat 3 or 4 times. Wait 15 minutes hook up as usual all should be good.

MB

Does gas accumulate in your beer lines by the back of your tap?

the first pour being foamier is normal for me but certainly not a big issue. It is because the pressure builds up in the beer line I'd imagine.

As for your issue, is the hose coiled at the top of the fridge where it is warmer? Is the tap itself warm?

No the beer lines are at keg level. Taps are warm and I understand that first pour will be foamy, but its not just the first pour. I must have overcarbed it. I cant think of anything else.

I think the temp may have been warmer than I suspected, that coupled with 15psi pressure. Must be overcarbed. I'm not to worried as its a new setup. If my next keg does the same thing ill be worried :p

i'd personally "reset" your current keg and get your system right so you can get your method down pat. It will be different from everyone elses method as there as so many variables.

Do a simple check, turn the fridge down to its coldest setting without any temp controller.

Pour a day later. If the foaming goes away it was basically too carbed for the temperature. You can hook up the controller again and try to place your probe better and maybe try a fan to move air around. Drop the pressure.

If all else fails, get flow control taps :)

Have you cleaned your lines if they are new they will foam..alot. Found out the hard way with a full keg of foam before I cleaned them again and have had no problems.

Take the lid off and ladel it out....

Sorry..

prop th PRV open and bleed off the gas till you are happy with it, best way to get it under control, then you can set to 10psi and go from there.

Yeah it's almost certainly just overcarbing.

I would do as Yob has suggested.

Latest posts

Back