Keg Gauge Vs Reg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LethalCorpse

Reaction score
I've got a keg that some mates knocked together years ago which has a pressure gauge on the gas inlet, and inline ballvalves on the gas and beer lines. It's also got a copper coil for use in an esky as a makeshift magic box. In true undergrad fashion, it's held together with epoxy and spit, but apparently holds pressure.
I also just got hold of a 6kg extinguisher. Sorry I could only get the one.

My question is, until I get hold of a reg and set it up properly, can I carb and dispense a beer just by using the tap and the gauge? ie, hook the gas up to the tap and ease it open until it hits carb pressure, then close it again, then while dispensing give it a charge every time the pressure gets too low. Or will the bottle pressure blow the lines and fittings to buggery?

A home made keg? All I can say is just be prepared for when one of the fittings blows and sprays heady beer everywhere.

I'd be naturally carbonating the beer in the keg and just using the fire extinguisher to dispense. It'll be so much easier to get the right carbonation level.

I've got a keg that some mates knocked together years ago which has a pressure gauge on the gas inlet, and inline ballvalves on the gas and beer lines. It's also got a copper coil for use in an esky as a makeshift magic box. In true undergrad fashion, it's held together with epoxy and spit, but apparently holds pressure.
I also just got hold of a 6kg extinguisher. Sorry I could only get the one.

My question is, until I get hold of a reg and set it up properly, can I carb and dispense a beer just by using the tap and the gauge? ie, hook the gas up to the tap and ease it open until it hits carb pressure, then close it again, then while dispensing give it a charge every time the pressure gets too low. Or will the bottle pressure blow the lines and fittings to buggery?

Typical pressure for a balanced system is approx 100 kpa/ 14psi
Typical "unmodified Corny max rated pressure 125psi
Typical CO2 pressure in bottle 5000kpa/725 pounds
Typical ball valve linear control in high pressure applications 2/5ths of bugger all.
LC with your OHS track record regarding electricity I'm disappointed in you !!
:lol:
Now I do have a needle valve (superior control) that screws onto a CO2 cylinder that I'll sell for $20 if you are interested......
;)
Cheers
Doug

Latest posts

Back