Keg Fridge Temp Control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_tyreman

Reaction score
Hey guys i understand the temp control situation for my fermenting fridges, but i was thinking about my keg fridge and was wondering what were your thoughts on temp control and more importantly probe placement?

I run a ATC-800 on my keg fridge and it's minimum temp is 5*C which is fine with me, just wondering though, should i tape the probe to the keg to get a more accurate temp reading? or just leave it dangling in the air space of the fridge?

not that it matters, because the temp is perfect...but it just made me think....and since im no good at thinking, i'll just ask you guys :)

* Just a note, i run a temp control because i have frozen a few kegs in my time and i dont like it :)

Cheers

i run mine in a stubby of water. its the only water in my keg fridge most of the time.

new_thread_search.gif

sorry i forgot to mention i did a search, but i couldn't find anything specific on keg fridges....no stress, just pondering a thought

why does it need to be specific to keg fridges? whether you're trying to control a fridge at four degrees or sixteen, the job is the same. free air will get you the most stable temperature at the cost of increased cycling - okay if your controller has a compressor delay. a small bottle of ware will give you some thermal mass, reducing the cycling but increasing the required temperature change before cooling effort. in or on the fermentor will give you the closest average to the actual temperature of the thing you're trying to control, at the expense of increased fluctuations. for a keg fridge, this last argument holds less water, as the keg doesn't produce any heat. I'd go for free air if your controller has a compressor delay, a small bottle of water or a small strip of metal if not.

Back