Keg Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArnieW

Reaction score
Fellow brewers,

I've been brewing for many years and kegging for about the last 4. Less than 12 months ago I bought a glycol chiller, which means my kegs stay at room temp and are force chilled when pouring.

That all works ok.

But an observation (not something I was aware of when I kept the kegs in the fridge for serving):
Over the pouring life of the keg, they significantly lose carbonation. (No, the kegs don't leak).
The beer I'm currently pouring was slightly overcarbonated at the start. But as I drink it this afternoon (after about 15 litres of 20) it is definitely under carbonated. I wouldn't have thought that there would be a significant difference if there is always head pressure on them for dispensing.

Could it be a balance issue? Any other ideas?

Maybe some points for reference. When the kegs were cold in the fridge, I had sufficient beer line length (2-3 meters, can't remember exactly) to balance 2-4 deg C kegs with 100kPa serving pressure.

Now that the kegs are room temp (probably av 17 deg C this time of year), the serving pressure seems to be 160kPa through the line + stainless coils in the glycol cooler. Anything less than 100kPa and the pour stops completely. 160kPa gives a normal volume of pour.

Any ideas appreciated.

cheers, :huh:

Just a guess. Co2 comes out of suspension at higher temps, so once the kegs are refrigerated and carbonated and kept in the fridge at say 4c the Co2 is very slow to come out of suspension and even slower with head pressure applied. Maybe you should go back to keeping them in the fridge.

Just a guess. Co2 comes out of suspension at higher temps, so once the kegs are refrigerated and carbonated and kept in the fridge at say 4c the Co2 is very slow to come out of suspension and even slower with head pressure applied.

Good guess Screwtop, as based on my experience, that is 100% correct :)

PZ.

Back