Keg Bigginer Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went and double checked my harris reg gauge on Left is keg pressure, Gauge on Right is bottle pressure

Shit, sorry.. Wrong regulator..

Umm no, that's what its for hey :huh:

Thanks brad, yes it works much better, I think ive gone thru a whole sodastream bottle already and I havent force carbed yet.

But its a lesson learnt.

Thanks all.

I did the same when I got mine, was wondering why as soon as I connected it up it was shooting out!
After a call to CB it turns out I was missing the washer, still have no idea where it went (AWOL in post!) anyway they sent a new one and she all works great.

Still had to go get a new bottle straightaway!
I'm looking at kegging my first one tomorrow, still not sure whether to force carb or naturally prime the keg. I am using the SS cylinders as well as my consumption is quite low - until I can afford the CO2 canister and build my 5 tap chest feezer...... :)

if you prime a keg, remember.....half the amount that you would use for bottles......... ;)
edit: if you force carb with a ss bottle, you can carb 1, and dispense 2 .....dispense only you can do 4 to 5.

if you prime a keg, remember.....half the amount that you would use for bottles......... ;)
edit: if you force carb with a ss bottle, you can carb 1, and dispense 2 .....dispense only you can do 4 to 5.

Thanks for the tip butters :)
Luckily good ol Beersmith comes to the rescue with the additions needed.

Thanks for the tip butters :)
Luckily good ol Beersmith comes to the rescue with the additions needed.

bear in mind that in the recipes, beersmith works off the batch size, and doesn't account for any losses prior to it hitting the keg. ;) I have a "fake" recipe set to 19L batch size that I use as a handy priming calc. Also remember, that when using CO2 in beersmith, you set the beer temp to the cold temp it will be....but when working out sugar primes, you set it at the fermentation temp...

bear in mind that in the recipes, beersmith works off the batch size, and doesn't account for any losses prior to it hitting the keg. ;) I have a "fake" recipe set to 19L batch size that I use as a handy priming calc. Also remember, that when using CO2 in beersmith, you set the beer temp to the cold temp it will be....but when working out sugar primes, you set it at the fermentation temp...

Now thats not a bad idea (the fake recipe thing), might add one in. I wouldn't have thought about the loss on transfer either, good stuff!
Cheers mate.

Afternoon all, can anybody inform me or post a link to the following question,

How long will a bottle stay carbonated for if poured from a keg. If kept cold, two reasons for doing this would be to take a few beers to a bbq or to empty a keg for refilling.

Cheers Brad

I've got 2 cartons of pre-carbonated (in a keg then dispensed to bottles) stubbies sitting in my fridge from the beginning of December and they are still fine, nice head and bubble all the way till the glass is empty

Cheers Cannibal Smurf. I doubt a bottle of beer will last over 2 months in my fridge :chug:
Brad

From what ive read, need to increase the carbonation in your keg a little to allow for loss when filling...

Back