Keg & Beer Line Cleaner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drag

Reaction score
What are the ingredients of keg & beer line cleaner?

My beer line cleaner is Potassium Hydroxide based, about 50% w/w. Not sure if there are other 'goodies' in there. Keg cleaning goop is based on NaOH with other surfactants and chelating agents and what knot.

Does it have any other goodies in it or are you just as well off buying the tubs of caustic from the supermarket?

I have a pack of "cellarman beer line cleaner, as specified for use by CUB" in my shed I think, next time you are round have a look at the ingredients, but I think it was just caustic. It has an odd instruction about mixing temperatures (dont use hot water) to avoid damaging the ice banks.

Anyone have an idea of why its different to all other HB cleaners?

Potassium or sodium hydroxide are very effective cleaners. You dont need the other ingredients IMHO. As for not mixing it in hot water - very true. Its a very exothermic reaction (gives off heat) and will melt buckets easily. We use potassium hydroxide mixed with isoproponal (commonly called IPA and why chemistry nerds like myself tend to chuckle when ordering a pint of IPA....) to clean glassware at work, soak overnight and crystal clean.

I have some of this keg cleaner but prefer to use the napisan/no rinse combo.

My beer line cleaner is Potassium Hydroxide based, about 50% w/w. Not sure if there are other 'goodies' in there. Keg cleaning goop is based on NaOH with other surfactants and chelating agents and what knot.
Cheers Randall, I found the supplier for the that caustic cleaner you mentioned earlier but haven't chased them up for a price yet.

Back