Kefir 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
This is a splinter thread off the Yoghurt thread.

Kefir is a smooth, thick cultured milk drink made using kefir "grains" that are a symbiotic culture of yeasts and bacteria. It's related to yogurt but has different cultures and different mode of preparation. Yogurt usually has two or three probiotic microorganisms, but kefir has up to 50 species that can recolonise the gut. It tastes like a thick creamy buttermilk with a slight fizz.

It originated in the Caucasus about 2000 years ago.

You can get kefir powdered culture that contains around a dozen species of micro, but won't form the grains (see later photo) so you have to keep buying the culture. By obtaining the genuine "mother culture" grains you can make the stuff indefinitely, just adding a good milk each time.

Equipment:

kefir 1.jpg

Jars (Mason jar style)
A dedicated strainer, plastic or wire, but no smaller than 1/16 inch gaps.
A dedicated glass bowl.

All can be starsanned. Similar hygeine and sanitising regimes to beer brewing.

Here's a jar that's been fermenting milk for 24 hours. You are looking at around a litre here. The yellow flecks are butter fat - I use Manning Valley unhomogenised milk. The kefir "grains" look like lumps of cottage cheese, or cauliflower pieces and are fairly solid and jelly like and float up to the top of the drink.

kefir 2.jpg

Strain off the kefir into a bowl, leaving the grains behind.

kefir 3.jpg

Pour the kefir into a sanitised jar, return the grains to the original jar and top up with a fresh dose of milk. I wash and sanitise the primary fermenting jar every third time. There's about 900ml of milk in each jar in the photo.

Kefir needs to be in a warmish place but out of direct sunlight. Unlike yogurt the milk doesn't need to be heated first.

kefir 4.jpg

The strained kefir can then be left for a further day or two, out of the fridge, to develop extra yogurt-like sourness, if you like, or put in fridge and drink as a milder version.

kefir 5.jpg

Feckin lovely, nowadays I just have a schooner of kefir for breakfast, full stop.

I'm sorry to disagree with you guys but kefir has to be the most disgusting thing i have ever tasted. I don't think any of the health benefits are worth drinking this stuff.

A lot of people can't stand the taste of unsweetened yogurt - that's why Danone sells far better than Greek Yogurt. If you like plain yogurt, buttermilk etc then Kefir is for you, all down to personal taste.

For example I can't understand why people rave over lumps of fishy slimy snot called oysters, and many Asian societies puke at the thought of that rotten milk called cheese :p

As for Balut, don't even go there.

Friend of mine did when he was in the US Navy. Hurled when the little legs flopped over his lip onto his chin as he unsuccessfully shot the balut in one go. Wasn't a cooked one.

PS: I like kefir.

Yuckypoo! I wouldn't touch Balut with a stick! :icon_drool2:

Kefir is alright. Mine was a bit slimey at first but I left it in the fridge for a while and then gave it a good shake and now it doesn't have that slimey texture. I plan on getting some grains as I currently only have the powdered stuff.

Is this used as a base for lassi?

No that would be Indian "curd" yogurt, I don't think that Kefir got that far East.

I've had Turkish Ayran many many times, which is just like slightly watered down buttermilk. Im guessing this is similar?

I want to try the Mongolian version, fermented horse milk.

Yes, Ayran is usually made from yogurt but in the East of Turkey I guess they would use kefir as well.

Good luck catching and milking the horse.

I don't have a problem with unsweetened yoghurt as part of my other life I work for a yoghurt manufacturer. Sensory panel is at 10am every morning basically it is a taste test of the past 24hours of production up to 35 different products somedays.
I think it is when I'm trying kefir or other cultured dairy products I'm comparing them directly to what it commercially known as yoghurt by the masses.

Cultured butter however I could see myself getting used to it does have a certain extra something that is rather pleasant.

koots said:
Where can a bloke get his hands on some grains?
This mob can post (if you can make head or tail of their website) :lol:

stu.. I can appreciate that, actually I find the powdered culture makes a more yogurt like kefir than the grains. The grains make a sharper yeastier brew that does have a bit of a manky edge to it.

Bribie, are you gently agitating/stirring your kefir every so often while it ferments? I found that reduced the manky edge. Koots, I may be able to send you some soon. I'm very impressed with the size of my kefir (what man isn't) but I need to separate some out.

I'd just been letting it sit, I'll do the stir job for the next batch. Do you do yours in a sort of Mason Jar setup or in a plastic "fermentor" ? My grains are slowly coming on but will take a couple more weeks I guess.

I use a ceramic crock with a loose lid that allows some air transmission. I've been told glass with a cloth top is the go and will likely switch as my crock is only 750 ml and the grains take up about 250ml of that. Time to give some away!

The best tasting kefir I've made was when I worked at home and gave the kefir a little agitation every few hours. ATM I give it a very gentle stirring every 12 hours. As I mentioned I the yoghurt thread, I read somewhere that traditionally kefir was hung in a bag by the door, and every time folks went in and out they gave the kefir a jiggle. So regular, gentle agitation sounds the go. Hmmmmm, maybe I'll stir-plate some out of curiosity.

Latest posts

Back