Keezer Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakie21

Reaction score
Hi guys

Thanks to the help of you guys I basically have my setup figured out and bought apart from the CO2 cylinder (just eagerly awaiting the postage).

I have a couple of questions about my soon to be keezer. I hope I am not making too many topics about my setup! I looked around and couldn't find much on this though.

I bought an ebay temp controller (like the stc-1000) and am considering wiring it up as an external controller (with 2 plugs for hot and cold) as it seems the most simple way to do things and without messing with my freezer. I am worried about the constant switching on and off, will it ruin the compressor on the freezer? I read that you can change the cycling temperature difference to be a bit larger so it isn't constantly going on and off.

My main question is, due to the switching off from the plug not the compressor itself will it shorten the life of the freezer alot (compared to one wired up internally)? or is it nothing to worry about?

Cheers

Just so you know, with the STC-1000 you can set whatever temperature difference you like (as you have said) but you can also set a minimum cycle time. By that I mean you can choose anything from 1min to 10mins before the output (heat or cool) is active regardless of is your temperature reading is outside of your max/min parameters.

IMO, and it is only that, as far as the compressor is concerned it is either on or off and how that occurs (from the freezers thermostat, or from the STC) shouldn't bother it. The difference may be, depending on your STC settings, that your compressor sees a significantly higher cycle rate using the STC over what it may 'normally'...

Just so you know, with the STC-1000 you can set whatever temperature difference you like (as you have said) but you can also set a minimum cycle time. By that I mean you can choose anything from 1min to 10mins before the output (heat or cool) is active regardless of is your temperature reading is outside of your max/min parameters.

IMO, and it is only that, as far as the compressor is concerned it is either on or off and how that occurs (from the freezers thermostat, or from the STC) shouldn't bother it. The difference may be, depending on your STC settings, that your compressor sees a significantly higher cycle rate using the STC over what it may 'normally'...

Ahh yeah didnt really think about it that way to be honest. Makes perfect sense. What do people normally use for keezers for min cycle time?

Cheers for clearing that up

Ahh yeah didnt really think about it that way to be honest. Makes perfect sense. What do people normally use for keezers for min cycle time?

Cheers for clearing that up

Blakie,
wouldn't cycle time be determined by how fast the freezer cools to the trigger temp to turn off the freezer?

The way it seems to work is
Unit is set with a target temp and a setting for how many degrees above or below that that temp can vary.
Then there is a compressor delay time - normally set at 9mins for a fridge (don't think their is another recommendation for a freezer compressor).

So cycle time would be
Compressor delay + run time down to temp - variance + time taking for contents of keezer to heat up to temp + variance.

From reading some other threads on keezers crapping out, it never seems to be the compressor that packs it in but rather some of the pipe work elsewhere that corrodes because it is not spending enough time hot (used to long compressor run times).

Cheers,
D80

The cycle time is a minimum. If you set it at 10 minutes and the freezer 'wants to' kick in again, it will delay it happening.

I would set temp differential to 1 degree both ways, and cycle to 10 minutes.

Latest posts

Back