K&k Kilkenny Clone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrycashman

Reaction score
HI guys,

Easter weekend is here, the weather is lovely and cool (18c in the laundry at home)... perfect brewing !

Does anyone know if I can do a Kilkenny clone with straight K&K? If so, which kit?

cheers. Jerry

Jerry Cashman
Canberra.

morgans royal oak amber ale+ better amber ale(blend from lhbs at kambah) ,if thats any help.

i do this one alot and find its pretty close,

happy easter

morgans royal oak amber ale+ better amber ale(blend from lhbs at kambah) ,if thats any help.

i do this one alot and find its pretty close,

happy easter

Thanks very much Gundaroo... what is the head like? Always wondered how to aproximate the head those little CO2 widgets give you when homebrewing...

cheers. Jerry

To get a tight creamy head, go to the local chemist dressed really nicely and buy a hypodermic syringe (without needle of course). I've got a couple of 30ml jobs.

Suck up about 10 ml out of the beer glass and squirt it forcibly back into the beer so it whooshes right down to the bottom of the glass. Instant 'draught guinness' effect that settles out to a tight head. However start off very cautiously till you get the hang of the method otherwise you will end up with some gushers.

I have put down a morgans royal oak amber ale + 1kg Kilkenny style beer converter (dextrose, malt, hops and maltodextrin) from Brewers world. Anyone tried this? I will be keen to see how it turns out.

Dave

I was gunna do one of these

Royal Oak amber ale goo
1.5kg amber LME
300g dex
Nottingham yeast @ 15 degrees

aiming for roughly english style amber ale - does anyone recommend adding a hop boil in to this? just wanting a smooth drinking amber ale, but unsure if i'll need more hopping. thoughts?

I was gunna do one of these

Royal Oak amber ale goo
1.5kg amber LME
300g dex
Nottingham yeast @ 15 degrees

aiming for roughly english style amber ale - does anyone recommend adding a hop boil in to this? just wanting a smooth drinking amber ale, but unsure if i'll need more hopping. thoughts?
Looks good I would try an EKG hop tea and maybe some dry hopped. It will freshen up the hops flavour of the kit a bit. I would up the ferment temp to 16C I found notto wanted to keep having a nap at 15C. Also why not 500gr of LDME instead of the Dex?
My 2c FWIW.

Cheers

Chappo

Good advice chappo, i have never used this kit before so was a bit unsure of the hop levels in the kit. what sort of boil times and hop weight do you reckon? i was thinking 20g for 20 min, 10g for 10 min and 10g dry hopped? that might be overkill though.

I would use LME but i don't want to split a can - i find it easier to dole out a little extra dex to up the sugar content. i'm very lazy :)

thanks for the tip on the notto, first time i've used it. 16 degrees sounds good.

Good advice chappo, i have never used this kit before so was a bit unsure of the hop levels in the kit. what sort of boil times and hop weight do you reckon? i was thinking 20g for 20 min, 10g for 10 min and 10g dry hopped? that might be overkill though.

I would use LME but i don't want to split a can - i find it easier to dole out a little extra dex to up the sugar content. i'm very lazy :)

thanks for the tip on the notto, first time i've used it. 16 degrees sounds good.

Neill,
I assume Chappo was referring to Light DRY Malt Extract

Nige

You're spot on nige, well picked up. I should mention that i'm actually using a 50/50 mix of dex and Light Dry Malt Extract too. must have had a few too many beers before i posted that!

snip...i was thinking 20g for 20 min, 10g for 10 min and 10g dry hopped? that might be overkill though.
+1 to Nige LDME

I would go 20gr for 20mins, 7gr at flame out and 10gr Dry hop. You could drop the dry hop if you didn't want to go overkill I'm a bit of hophead but certainly do the 20 and flame out to boost the kit. The kit will have enough bittering to carry itself.

It will give ya flavour and aroma that the kits just won't give you.

Cheers

Chappo

+1 to Nige LDME

I would go 20gr for 20mins, 7gr at flame out and 10gr Dry hop. You could drop the dry hop if you didn't want to go overkill I'm a bit of hophead but certainly do the 20 and flame out to boost the kit. The kit will have enough bittering to carry itself.

It will give ya flavour and aroma that the kits just won't give you.

Cheers

Chappo

Yep as Chappo said 20g of EKG @20 but 10g of Fuggles and 5 of styrian goldings at flame out is also a good option if ya dont want to do the dry hop. IMO

Brad

is EKG definately the hop to use for this style? i *think* the LHBS has this type but am unsure. anything else that's common i could go with? i know they have chinook, cascade, fuggles, centennial and a few others.

edit: don't think i can afford 3 different hop styles for one brew, would like to stick with just one if possible

is EKG definately the hop to use for this style? i *think* the LHBS has this type but am unsure. anything else that's common i could go with? i know they have chinook, cascade, fuggles, centennial and a few others.

edit: don't think i can afford 3 different hop styles for one brew, would like to stick with just one if possible

Ya could go the fuggles the "C" hops are more american style

Chappo

If its the brewcraft hops in the 50g bags I think they call it goldings which would be fine to use as would be Fuggles. You can always use left overs for the next brew as these hops will fit into many different brews.

Cheers Brad

my local is a grain and grape, he sells 40g packs which seem to be just right for what i usually do (20 + 10 + 10 dry)

pretty sure he has EKG, if not i'll go the fuggles. cheers gents!

Thanks very much Gundaroo... what is the head like? Always wondered how to aproximate the head those little CO2 widgets give you when homebrewing...

cheers. Jerry

I always thought they were a nitrogenated widget? You can get a CO2/nitrogen gas mix if you get really keen. The nitrogen is what gives you the denser, creamier head.

I made a Morgans Royal Oak last July and added some extra fuggles. It turned out very bitter to my taste, I think they put quite a lot of isohop into it - like a lot of the Morgans kits - so I would personally only put in late aroma hops.

bloody hell, went to the LHBS this morning and he was out of fuggles AND EKG. So i picked up some Pride of ringwood, some centennial and some nelson sauvin

what do you guys recommend i do with this lot? i was just going to do POR, 20g @15 mins, 10g at flameout, 10g dry hopped, in conjunction with the amber ale kit and 1.5kg LME

thoughts?

i gather the nelson and centennial wouldn't be too suited to this style - i am going to do some random IPA style things with them later on.

bloody hell, went to the LHBS this morning and he was out of fuggles AND EKG. So i picked up some Pride of ringwood, some centennial and some nelson sauvin

what do you guys recommend i do with this lot? i was just going to do POR, 20g @15 mins, 10g at flameout, 10g dry hopped, in conjunction with the amber ale kit and 1.5kg LME

thoughts?

i gather the nelson and centennial wouldn't be too suited to this style - i am going to do some random IPA style things with them later on.

Personal choice of course, but for what its worth Id get the hops you want for this brew even put down something else in the mean time. Id steer clear of POR altogether, I think the Centennel is more for American styles and is similar to Cascade I think. As for the Nelson sauvin I havent used so maybe wait untill you can gather more info. Sorry, but these just dont sound right for that kit. I could be wrong. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Back