Just Starting Out.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior Poet

Reaction score
G'day all,
Just picked up my new kit yesterday (Brewcraft) from The Brew Shop at Peakhurst NSW and got the Brewcraft Mexican Cerveza with it. Also picked up 30 PET bottles, would like to get the glass but haven't got any and I'm going to start saving them. Are there any disadvantages with using PET?

I'm really looking forward to tasting my first beer that I made and it will feel pretty rewarding that I can say i made it myself, as long as it tastes good <_< .

Just a little worried about temps at the moment, thermo was reading 24C this morning and 28C yesterday so may have to stick it in an esky? :huh:

This is a great informative site and will certainly be lurkin around and getting more tips and recipes.

Cheers. :beerbang:

G'day all,
Just picked up my new kit yesterday (Brewcraft) from The Brew Shop at Peakhurst NSW and got the Brewcraft Mexican Cerveza with it. Also picked up 30 PET bottles, would like to get the glass but haven't got any and I'm going to start saving them. Are there any disadvantages with using PET?

I'm really looking forward to tasting my first beer that I made and it will feel pretty rewarding that I can say i made it myself, as long as it tastes good <_< .

Just a little worried about temps at the moment, thermo was reading 24C this morning and 28C yesterday so may have to stick it in an esky? :huh:

This is a great informative site and will certainly be lurkin around and getting more tips and recipes.

Cheers. :beerbang:
WP,

welcom to AHB & brewing - It's a great site & a rewarding hobby/obsession :D

Don't worry about the PET's - they will give you good service until you have collected enough glass. PET also allows you to test the carbonation level so you can judge when to try a brew - just squeeze the sides!

You're right to be worried about the temp. The two key things to understand and gain control of in order to produce great beer are temperature and sanitation. In general aim to keep ales below 20 (preferrably 17-18) and don't even attempt lagers until you can maintain 10 (unless you use a cal common yeast which will work at 15)

There is lots of info on this site re fermentation temp control without a fermenting fridge. A simple way is to fill put your fermetner into a tub, fill tub with water and rotate frozen water bottles to keep the temp down.

good luck with your 1st brew. keep asking questions

A quick and easy solution is to drop into your local BBQ place or maybe Big W and get yourself 4 sheets of Techni Ice.
They are panels of Ice blocks you freeze then with a bit of string / robe tie them to the size of the fermentor.

2 sheets fits a 23Litre fermentor , you need another 2 in the freezer and rotate them.

Change them in the morning and at night when you check on your baby.
Need to do it for the first 4 days. After that it doesn't seem to matter.

It's a cheap effective solution and if you change your mind they are still useful to use in the Esky for parties.

BOG

A quick and easy solution is to drop into your local BBQ place or maybe Big W and get yourself 4 sheets of Techni Ice.
They are panels of Ice blocks you freeze then with a bit of string / robe tie them to the size of the fermentor.

2 sheets fits a 23Litre fermentor , you need another 2 in the freezer and rotate them.

Change them in the morning and at night when you check on your baby.
Need to do it for the first 4 days. After that it doesn't seem to matter.

It's a cheap effective solution and if you change your mind they are still useful to use in the Esky for parties.

BOG

That sounds like the go. Will try the techni ice.

Thanks for the replies, I feel welcome already. :)

Oh,

Remember to put a towel around the bottom of the fermentor. The humidity at this time of year will flood wherever you are brewing.

BOG

Just went and grabbed some techni ice, it was around $34 for 4 sheets.

And will put the towel under the fermenter when I get home.

Cheers everyone.

Poet.

Just went and grabbed some techni ice, it was around $34 for 4 sheets.

And will put the towel under the fermenter when I get home.

Cheers everyone.

Poet.

Placed the techni ice around the fermenter and the temp is hanging around 20-22c.

I suppose i can be happy with that. :)

It's still bubbling away and giving the shed a nice aroma. :D

Poet.

giving the shed a nice aroma

He he, when i have a brew in my fermentation fridge i stick my head in whenever i walk past, just to smell it.

Soon it will be an obsession, perhaps then look at getting a fridge with a temp controller to ferment in, then you can set it to your desired temp and leave it for a few days.

Back