Just Put A Hobgoblin In

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keezawitch

Reaction score
I have just put a hobgoblin in to brew, hope it works out as it is one of the few beers i will drink

ok this what i did, under instructions from local brew shop

1 can bitter
1 sachet ale yeast
1 kilo dark amber.( 500g dextrose, 300g light malt, 200g dark malt)
1 packet (12g) figgles hops
150g black grain
150g choc grain

Put grain in pot add 2ltre boiling water let sit, put hops on cup fill with boiling water
empty can and dark amber into brew thingy, add 2 litres boiling water toss in hops, drain grain add liquid. fill to 22ltr with cold water, add yeast and stir like crazy. Proceed as you do with any other beer.

will let you know how it is in a month or so

I'd be interested to see how this one turns out.

I'm a fan of Hobgoblin.

Adding grain to boiling water is not great. You will have extracted a lot of tannins from that, resulting in a tea-like, astringent mouthfeel.

In future, adding them to water around the 60-70 degree mark would be much much better.

Do you have any other hops? Hobgoblin uses EK Goldings as well as alot of cascade hops late in the boil. The Fuggles will still make for a tasty brew.
I've tried to clone this brew a few times, the key ingredients for me is the yeast. I my opinion you need to use Ringwod Ale yeast from wyeast. I'm not sure if white labs have anything similar. The yeast puts off tones of loverly flavoures that hobgoblin has.
I'm sure your brew will be fine, report back on how it turns out.

Just watch that 'boiling' water used to soak (steep) the grains. A lot of brew shops give out this easy instruction
when it more properly should be 'hot' water at about 70 deg C. To get a temperature of 70 deg C I use a 3-1 rule,
3 parts boiling water and 1 part tap water. So for 300g of grain you need about 600ml of water, so add 150ml of tap water ( ALWAYS ADD THE TAP WATER FIRST!!!) then gradually add 450ml of boiling water slowly over the course of about a minute to bring the grain up to temp. Measure temp and add more hot water if needed.

If you can, get a thermometer from the shop, about $11 I think, well worth it.

for those diong the maths, don't forget that the cold grain also needes to be heated, so it's not just about mixing the right water temp., and the container as well. For best results PRE-HEAT the container by rinsing with boiling water. ( Also cleans it!)

When will someone sell a jug with an adjustable thermostat! I wish.

Adding grain to boiling water is not great. You will have extracted a lot of tannins from that, resulting in a tea-like, astringent mouthfeel.

In future, adding them to water around the 60-70 degree mark would be much much better.

thank you the guy at the brew shop told me to add to boiling water but i will use your method next time i use grain, never used it before

Do you have any other hops? Hobgoblin uses EK Goldings as well as alot of cascade hops late in the boil. The Fuggles will still make for a tasty brew.
I've tried to clone this brew a few times, the key ingredients for me is the yeast. I my opinion you need to use Ringwod Ale yeast from wyeast. I'm not sure if white labs have anything similar. The yeast puts off tones of loverly flavoures that hobgoblin has.

this recipe was from the brew shop, he actually recommended i try hobgoblin when i told him what i liked in a beer, i brought one and liked it thats why i am using his recipe but when it is finished i will buy an original and do a comparision taste, if it isnt what i want i think i will repost and ask for suggestions to get it to my taste. thanks i will remember this when testing so i can experiment

Just watch that 'boiling' water used to soak (steep) the grains. A lot of brew shops give out this easy instruction
when it more properly should be 'hot' water at about 70 deg C. To get a temperature of 70 deg C I use a 3-1 rule,
3 parts boiling water and 1 part tap water. So for 300g of grain you need about 600ml of water, so add 150ml of tap water ( ALWAYS ADD THE TAP WATER FIRST!!!) then gradually add 450ml of boiling water slowly over the course of about a minute to bring the grain up to temp. Measure temp and add more hot water if needed.

If you can, get a thermometer from the shop, about $11 I think, well worth it.

for those diong the maths, don't forget that the cold grain also needes to be heated, so it's not just about mixing the right water temp., and the container as well. For best results PRE-HEAT the container by rinsing with boiling water. ( Also cleans it!)

When will someone sell a jug with an adjustable thermostat! I wish.

that adjustable thermostat would be heaven, I have a couple of thermostats i use in cheese making and as it is stainless steel i can sterilise it and use in brew, If the grain needs a slow warm up wouldnt it be better to start with grain in required amount of cold water and slowly take it to 70 degrees and then take off heat let steep for a bit and then drain, thats what i do with my herbs and always makes a better infusion, all my pans are stainless steel that would help i think

this recipe was from the brew shop, he actually recommended i try hobgoblin when i told him what i liked in a beer, i brought one and liked it thats why i am using his recipe but when it is finished i will buy an original and do a comparision taste, if it isnt what i want i think i will repost and ask for suggestions to get it to my taste. thanks i will remember this when testing so i can experiment

oh sorry i didnt use any other hops.

No worries. With only that small amount, it may well turn out perfectly drinkable. Only time will tell.

Cascade? :huh:

No cascade in Hobgoblin, it's Fuggles and Styrian Goldings. :icon_cheers:

The CYBI podcast interview with the brewer mentioned some Cascade late with the Styrians. I've made the recipe provided. Hard to say if I could even taste the Cascade with the amount of Styrians added and the dark malts. Maybe only a hint but...

I'm sorry to disagree with the good doctor, but according to this broadcast, and direct from the head brewers own words, they add the first hops when the wort is at 80C, and it's a mix of about 50/50 Fuggles and Goldings pellets. They add a final mix of 80% Styrian and 20% Cascade in the Whirlpool once the boil is over. That's it for the hops.
So, there is some Cascade, but it's not much.

Link is one given to me by our friend yardie: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/791

I was as surprised as you doc when I heard it on CYBI, I find it tough to even taste in hobgoblin. It's a good episode if I remember correctly not one of them got a clone. I definetly think you could go with the cascade and all S.Goldings at whirlpool.

well it is bubbling away happily, hope thats what it should do, and I hope it tastes good :icon_cheers:

I have to agree. There is no cascade in Hobgoblin!

Listen to the CYBI episode it comes straight out of the brewers gob. I would never have picked it but by the time its shipped here who knows how the character has changed.

I just listened to the Fullers Re-brew episode and the difference they talk about when comparing Fullers ESB Fresh and Un-pasteurised (CYBI guy got an un-pasteurised bottle when on Brewery tour and flew it back himself) vs the Pasteurised standard bottle version seems vast. Noticeable Drop in Hop freshness and increase in caramel notes.

Listen to the CYBI episode it comes straight out of the brewers gob. I would never have picked it but by the time its shipped here who knows how the character has changed.

I just listened to the Fullers Re-brew episode and the difference they talk about when comparing Fullers ESB Fresh and Un-pasteurised (CYBI guy got an un-pasteurised bottle when on Brewery tour and flew it back himself) vs the Pasteurised standard bottle version seems vast. Noticeable Drop in Hop freshness and increase in caramel notes.

Got a link.

Latest posts

Back