Just Put A Hobgoblin In

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the question you have to ask is 'did the head brewer tell a porkie to a bunch of seppos as a way of giving a verbal middle finger salute'?

Do i believe the brewery's own website or what was 'revealed as gospel' on a homebrewing radio station in another country?

Meditate on this, i will (with a pint or 7). :icon_drunk:

I guess the question you have to ask is 'did the head brewer tell a porkie to a bunch of seppos as a way of giving a verbal middle finger salute'?

Do i believe the brewery's own website or what was 'revealed as gospel' on a homebrewing radio station in another country?

Meditate on this, i will (with a pint or 7). :icon_drunk:

I was thinking the same thing. The brewer is probably still chuckling to himself..........................

I've listened to that episode a few times, he is openly and deliberately vague on a number of points. While I never bother trying to 'clone' anything I have similarly delicious results with 50gms of styrians at the whirlpool/well-post-flameout stage (in a 23L batch) of a reddish/copper English pale. I had another pint of it (the commercial one) on the weekend, probably old and oxidised and etc etc etc but I luuurrrrve the big smack of styrians and doubt the cascade plays much of a role (if indeed it is there at all). I find that the english malts have made the biggest difference in getting into a similar ballpark, and then a variety of yeasts. I had reasonable success with wy1318 and am currently trying it with some us05 for a giggle (fermenting cooler than I usually do). I'll do a similar thing again with 1084 to see what difference a drier maltiness has on the overall thing. This beer would be friggin delish-ess-ness through a hand pump!!!

Thanks Charst, is the same link I've tried but cant seem to get it to open. Might try it tommorrow at work..............during my breaks of course B)

I found the podcast in iTunes and then downloaded it that way but the website's just easy to get one episode. best of luck

I can vouch for Traveled oxidised taste,I have had the bottle version a few timesand found it underwelming until I had a pint in a can.The freshness of malt and styrings is very stong I would think a dry hop also I didnt get any fruitness at all cascade.

sav

I can vouch for Traveled oxidised taste,I have had the bottle version a few timesand found it underwelming until I had a pint in a can.The freshness of malt and styrings is very stong I would think a dry hop also I didnt get any fruitness at all cascade.

sav

They still doing the cans up in hippyville Sav? Shed should know? And I agree the cans are fresher for some ungodly reason, and I could not pick up a late edition of cascade in either version. Having said that I have tried some guiness copies that have a late cascade edition but the edition adds to complexity not flavour/aroma, if that makes sense.

They still doing the cans up in hippyville Sav? Shed should know? And I agree the cans are fresher for some ungodly reason, and I could not pick up a late edition of cascade in either version. Having said that I have tried some guiness copies that have a late cascade edition but the edition adds to complexity not flavour/aroma, if that makes sense.

I catch up with shed once a month and no cans don't belong here. ;)
cya next weekend shed old thing. :beer:

The cybi episode also seems to confuse whether it's 25 or 35 ibu s

I'd suggest that by using hops out of their expected place you can get flavours that are unexpected from that hop. English beers, especially something like hobgoblin will tend to have a more complex malt flavour. The malt backbone has a deeper/richer sweetness usually from darker crystial malts and richer tasting base malts. styrians are often described as marmaladey, which is citrusy but richer and with a more complex sweetness which mutes the in your face citrus element. Think about an american stout/brown in this case when you think of the cascade instead of thinking of it as a refreshing APA.

Yes there are differences between cascade and styrians, but when you have 80% of the late hops as styrians and 20% cascade the cascade is less prominent and not so in your face. Between the malt base and the large quantities of styrians I doubt the cascade would sit out of place in the beer and have people question it. As much as english/slovenian hops aren't as in your face as american hops, they tend to have a big effect on flavour or possibly more importantly flavour perception. I did a whatever is left IPA with a fair few hops, a big part which was citra which is pretty in your face. The fuggles and POR changed the flavour to being quite english tasting. The citra flavour was there quite strongly, but it wasn't recognised in the same way it would have been in an APA or american IPA.

I've listened to the cybi episode. I'm not a big fan of the series, but that's mainly because of my sense of humour ( and there is alot of time spent talking shit) . I'm half Canadian which should make me more tolerant to the american sense of humour, methods of advertising (do those ads really work???? seriosuly???) and accent but I just can't listen to it for long. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the recipe has changed since then (or is it pretty recent) but I'd suggest that the change would be insignificant to the flavour otherwise people would be complaining.

I have a rough hobgoblin style in a 4% beer I'm currently brewing, and an american brown with the same malt base brewing with centennial, citra and fuggles. I'm going to be interested to see the difference.

I should also say that I've only drank a 3.5% version of hobgoblin that is available in swedish supermarkets (they are only allowed to sell beer up to 3.5% and wytchwood brews one for that market). It inspired me to brew something similar as it was the best low alcohol beer I've ever had (though it may have just been that I had no more than 2 beers after riding a pushbike across norway)

Racked my hobgoblin clone today, not breaking a seal until 26th march, let it sit for a month. I will do a comparision then, ANY OF YOU LOCALS are welcome to come and do a comparision with me, and I want an honest opinion, if its shit I can take it :D . P.M me if anyone is interested may make a bbq out of it.

ok in the right place now, really pleased to report the hobgoblin clone turned out AOK, nice and malty and not too bitter :D

You really should start a new thread for things like this - otherwise people might miss it.

;)

Had a King Goblin last night, I just presumed it was a beefed up version of the Hobgoblin @ 6.6% & only brewed on a full "lunar"(?) moon. The magnetic pull must help keep the yeast in suspension???

Anyway, it says on the label that it is brewed with Crystal malts & Soverign hops, is soverign a variety or saying it's locally sourced?, the with bit also strongly implies this is only a part of the recipe & could contain other malts such as a touch of roast barley and other undisclosed hops.

The label is all a bit too vague & smells of pretending to be open about their recipe whilst closely guarding it, having their beer & drinking it I guess.

Wasnt overly impressed with the KG the HG is better IMO, KG is a little dominated by alcohol flavours, have tasted many stronger beers with less alc flavours.

Latest posts

Back