Just Did My First Partial!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerald

Reaction score
ok, so i wasnt sure about building a good mashing tun out of a cooler so i just bought the 20L esky and made a bowl into a sieve. hoping this would work

only then did i realise that 3kg of grains (pale and wheat) doesnt look anything at all like 3kg of rice....for give me!

anyway i went ahead, did it anyway, i got a good temp for the mash, but i couldnt sparg all the grains cos i didnt have room and my pot is only so big (12L) yeah i need a bigger one...or do less grain.

anyway i think it went ok. pot was sooo full i couldnt have a raging boil going but it was going ok, was on the boil for an hour. did all my hop additions. cooled it down. got it all into the fermenter. got the yeast in at around 26/27

its cooling down as i type - will probs be down to around 20*C by tomorrow morning.

my recipie went:

1.5kg Wheat Liquid Extract
2kg pale malt grain
1kg Wheat Malt grain

35.00 gm northern brewer - 45min
25.00 gm chinook - 5min
25.00 gm fuggles - 0 min

Wyeast Labs 1056

i think, kinda went like that.

anyway filled to 21L and my final gravity was around the 1052-1050 mark.

does this sound right or did i have terrible efficieny with the mash? i thought it would be higher but really i have no idea about these things!

next time: use a proper mashing tun
use less grain and more extract untill i have a bigger pot!

anyway yeah, im happy to have done one finally, i hope it turns out good, was meant to be based somewhat on the JS golden ale but not sure if it will be anything like that.

partial mashes are great though i made a huge freakin mess!

catchyas

ok guys, actually need a question answered here now.

pitched the yeast at 26*C, by that evening - 6-7 hours later it was bubbling away and down to 22*C

its now been 48 hours since i pitched the yeast i think and its completely finished fermenting from what i can see.

the temp is showing 20*C

i took a gravity reading and its showing 1010 BUT the beer is VERY VERY VERY VERY cloudy full of yeast. could just be that the beer around the tap and such has lots of yeast in it which hasnt quite settled down. obviously gonna leave it for a few more days before i put it into secondary but does a 48hour ferment sound right with those temps and the yeast i used. i didnt do a starter and i used the dried version.

so yeah, all info and views welcome!!!!

thanks
cya

gerald,

It all sounds pretty good.

Temperature was probably a little higher than you want and this can result in it fermenting out pretty quickly.

Leave it for at least a week to let it finish off and clear up a bit.

I think you'll be very happy in a month or so when you start sampling.

Enjoy.

yeah, it was my first time having a bigger boil than just 4L which i can usually cool down quite quickly.

ive pitched the yeast at 26 before and had the ferment still go for 4 or 5 days as the temp always drops down to low 20's that day. so quite surprised it finished so quickly. definitly needs time to clear up :p

golly i hope it tastes good in a month! all this hype about mashing! and the mess i made

any more opinions are welcome!
thanks
gerald

Is it possible that the wort was starved of oxygen when you piched the yeast? with a big boil and all. Or did you splash it about as you transferred into fermenter. I've had a quick ferment before, and found rocking the fermenter a bit got it going for a few more days.
Good luck :)

nah, it was 12L boil and the other 11L i poured in quite vigorously so dont think it was that.

im gonna put it into secondary in a few days time, and i might put a few grams of dex in there to see if that does anything.

thanks
cya

Back