Just did first BIAB using Crown Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waratah67

Reaction score
Well after a year of kits and extracts I did my first BIAB last weekend (an English Special Bitter). I bought the urn and bag from Craftbrewer (40L) and they worked beautifully.

Just wanted to thank AHB people generally as I would never have attempted, let alone pulled off a BIAB without this place and all the info collected here.

Just a quick question if I can. When raising the temp (after mash has ended) does the bag have to be off the bottom of the urn? Will it melt? I am using the concealed element version.

Yep, will melt. Either pull bag completely and raise a couple of C above your required mashout and drop bag, or use a cake rack to keep the bag off the bottom.
Other option is don't worry about doing a mashout, not really required with biab

Thanks Seamad. I have to say I don't know what the theory is behind the "mashout" step and weather it is required or not.

seamad said:
Yep, will melt. Either pull bag completely and raise a couple of C above your required mashout and drop bag, or use a cake rack to keep the bag off the bottom.
Other option is don't worry about doing a mashout, not really required with biab
I have found my gravity to be lacking on some brews until I do a mash out, so I don't believe it isn't necessary, I'll pay more attention to see if it follows a certain style/ingredient.

Rob.P said:
I have found my gravity to be lacking on some brews until I do a mash out, so I don't believe it isn't necessary, I'll pay more attention to see if it follows a certain style/ingredient.
Sometimes I don't have any change at all in gravity with a mash out, but other times I'll increase it by 3 or 4 points. Good idea, I'll look into ingredients/ styles myself.

Drewski said:
I keep the urn in for mash out without problem while burner is going, i have this crown urn addon however. http://www.fullpint.com.au/crown-urn-strainer/
I use one of these too. I just have some string attached to it so I can pull it out after the mash is complete. I've found some grists will cake on to the element and cause it to cut out during the boil (Rye is bad for this). After the mash I give the element a bit of a scrub and have no issues.

Latest posts

Back