Just Checkin !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oatlands Brewer

Reaction score
I have abbandoned the pilsner idea for a while until ive got a bit more tiime so im gonna put down a simple extract to fill the fermenter. any input would be appreciated.

1 x tin Morgans Pale
1 x tin Morgans extra Pale
500g crystal 60

Amarillo 30g @ 60, 20g @ 20
Cascade 10g @ 10

then dry hop cascade 40g after fermentation.

Though i have half a mind to swap the hopping

Any recomenations on the yeast

Cheers.
Adam

What colour are you aiming for? I have a recipe that uses 500g medium crystal which comes out amber/almost brown. Other malts are just ale, pilsner and biscuit so 500 will add a fair bit of colour. If you want a paler coloured one I'd knock back the crystal to between 1 and 200.

How big are the tins? I know morgan only make one size now but I've forgotten what it is. Is it 1.5kg each?

Otherwise looks good. American hops at their simplest call for an american yeast so 05 or if you're into liquids, 1056 or 1272 from Wyeast (don't know the Whitelabs equivalent sorry).

Cascade and amarillo make a nice combination. Cascade grapefruit, amarillo kind of mandarin like so work your schedule out from that. Either would work.

I reckon the Cascade will be overpowered by the Amarillo, maybe equal additions if you have it. Yeast If using dry, as Manticle said, US-05, But.... for me Wyeast 1272. :icon_drool2:

Cheers
Gavo.

Wouldn't the 40g of cascade in secondary go a long way to getting a bit of balance back ?

i was after a pretty hoppy pale style maybe ill wind back the crystal to 250.
the tins are 1.5kg

looks like 05 as has been said before we cant get liquid yeast in tassie...maybe i should start inporting them or something.

maybe: Amarillo 40g@60
Cascade 20g@ 20
Cascade 10g@10

then dry hop 20g cascade & 10g amarillo

I am sure some of the sponsers of this sitewill send them to you if not let me know and Iwill see what I can do to post them to you
cheers Bob
Always thought the us o5 would be good
Cheers

i know, iknow

the carrier pidgeons get pretty tired bringing my stone tablets to the mainland to get put on the internet.

i sould get my arse into gear and order a couple from the big island, do you need them sent in ice packs?

i sould get my arse into gear and order a couple from the big island, do you need them sent in ice packs?

You don't need ice packs but they cost like 50 cents each or something. At that price I even get them for dried yeast.

If you work out how the seller you choose organises their postage you can pretty easily buy enough stuff to save money when compared to your LHBS (even when including the postage). It isn't that expensive if that's what putting you off - you just need to be able to either spend enough for bits and bobs for a few brews at once or plan in advance so you can fill your post pack or whatever with stuff for one brew.

Just dropped a similarly hopped batch down myself:

200g Crystal Malt
1kg Light DME (500g in Hop Boil)
1kg Dark DME (added late)
600g Honey (added late)

25g Cascade 30mins
30g Amarillo 15mins
30g Cascade 10mins
30g Amarillo 1min

2 tsps (aprox 14g) US-05 yeast

At 24hrs it's bubbling away happily and the smell is amazing!

Can't decide whether to dry hop or not at this stage...

Wouldn't the 40g of cascade in secondary go a long way to getting a bit of balance back ?

If it's Tasmanian cascade I reckon you'll find the extra Humulene will give you a nice mellow hop flavour similar to noble hops. I've made an all Amarillo beer before and that had a massive bite even after conditioning for 4 weeks.

Go do that thing dude.

Back