Just Bought A New Av Receiver - At A Steal!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make the crossovers yourself....not hard

Just source good quality capacitors

I don't really know where to start? I guess I'd want to figure out at which freq I want to cross and then spec cap's accordingly? Are there any good kits out there that don't break the bank? I've done a bit of searching around and can only find high end stuff.

Cheers - ike

I got an old bakelite radio in me brewshed, has a coathanger fashioned into a pretty fancy lookin' ariel. I can get the footy on 2HD without too many scratchy noises.... Hmm, maybe that's what artifacts are :p

Not really - Transmission line speakers are almost a black art. Most of the good designs are almost stumbled across. Because the Theile/Small paremeters have little effect on TL designs its hard to calculate what effects the actual driver will have on the transmission line. We know the theory behind TL lines and quater waves - what we dont fully understand is how they are affected by - and affect the TS specs.

for those interested this is a good web site to get started.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/

I don't really know where to start? I guess I'd want to figure out at which freq I want to cross and then spec cap's accordingly? Are there any good kits out there that don't break the bank? I've done a bit of searching around and can only find high end stuff.

Cheers - ike

LEAP is basically the best program (that I know of) for x-over design.
I use crossover pro by harris technology. If you want for a one off design if you give me the drivers model numbers I'd happily model them for you.

Jaycar have cheap and reasonably good components for crossovers - you can even get predrilled mounting boards. I've always used Solen inductors and either Solen or Mundorf caps and Mills resistors. Though on my latest set of 2 ways im just using match pairs of jaycar 10w ceramic core resistors with extremely good results.

Components in my current 2 ways are as follows Vifa M18W0 midbass, Vifa XT25 tweeters, Solen 0.51mH inductors, Solen 0.39mH inductors, Solen
10F cap. Box is 16mm MDF 17L with a slot port tuned to about 55hz. Cross overs are LP 3000hz 6dB and HP 2500hz 12dB. Theres a fairly large over lap which actually works well with these components (normally underlap) and I achived a good graph response by adding an 11 - 12dB L-pad consisting of 3.3 ohm and 2.2 ohm resistors. Probably could change that L-pad to 1ohm and 2.2ohm which would give more like 8 - 9dB attn.
Not too shabby for my first ground up build (previously I've only ever tweaked crossovers and built speakers from tried and tested designs)

QUOTE I got an old bakelite radio in me brewshed

I love some of those old things, and also the ones that followed bakelite, made from lumber.

Back