July Meeting & Get Your Kit Off Comp!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourstar

doG reeB
Reaction score
Members, I'll keep it simple.

Tonight is the night for the Get Your Kit Off Comp! So bring your entries along and we will crown somone the winner! Bragging rights only! ;) Sorry for getting the reminder out so late, if we have a lack of entries we might have to hold it off to the following meeting but still bring your entries along.

Any new members are welcome. :) Kickoff is at 7:30, Address: 11/12 Edina St, Ferntree Gully. (enter the estate and the first left at the roundabout, right down the end on the left hand side.)

See you all tonight at the meeting.

Cheers,
Braden :icon_cheers:

Tonight is the night for the Get Your Kit Off Comp!

Having seen a few club members I hope that's not literal... forgive the noob member question, but am I right in assuming its a kit brew comp?

Having seen a few club members I hope that's not literal... forgive the noob member question, but am I right in assuming its a kit brew comp?

its a jazz a kit brew up, so i guess it is. everyone shuns kits for all the worng reasons. this is to show great beer can be made from kits and slap around a few of those who think this tinned malt is not worthy and show that it is! (even if you have to trick them up to the point where its a kit + minimas. See comp flyer below:

Get your kit off

Lets all go back to our roots and prove to ourselves and the brewing community that a kit
beer can be good! (with a little tweaking).

RULES:
- Must use a 1.7kg kit, used in its entirety. (yeast under lid is optional unless you really
want to use it.)
- No Toucan/Twocan brews.
- OG must be no more than 1.060.
- IBU must be no more than 60IBU
- Final volume must be no more than 23 Litres.
- There are no more rules, its game on from here. Beers will be evaluated and a winner
crowned at the June Club Meting.

You may use extracts, dextrose, sugars, grain, hops, water adjustment,

full mashing, liquid or dry yeast or whatever suits your recipe idea.

Anything goes from here, its a free for all.

Specialty beers such as fruit beers or sours are also acceptable. As long as you use the
whole kit and fit within the above constraints you are good to go.

Some simple ideas to get the brain working.
- A stout made with a old ale kit, roast malts steeped and DME added to make up the
difference.
- A blonde kit used for a Munich Helles base, a small hop addition and

make up the rest of your gravity points with a pilsner malt mini mash

So, what are you waiting for? Get Brewing!

Hi Gents,

What an awesome turn out, 9 entries and the invoking of some indepth discussions of kit brewing on the night which was quite unexpected. We are now officially known as the Melbourne Can Openers. :D Some cracking beers lads!

Congratulations goes to Siborg with his Oatmeal Stout taking out first place.

For all those kit haters out there, this winning beer placed in the recent Westgate Brewers Stout Extraveganza competition. So go eat your hats (or can openers)! :beerbang:

Cheers and thank-you all once again for the participation. We look forward to an even bigger competition next year.

:icon_cheers:

T'was a top drop Siborg... absolute cracker of a brew. Always good to challenge perceptions with something like the comp last night.

Was a good night. I thouroughly enjoyed your american amber, 4*

It was by far the stand out beer from the three our table tried.

For all those kit haters out there, this winning beer placed in the recent Westgate Brewers Stout Extraveganza competition. So go eat your hats (or can openers)! :beerbang:
RecipeDB, Siborg?

Share some love, I'd like to try my hand at this one.

Latest posts

Back