Jsaa Clone Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bucket of death hahaha

bunnings fermenter with electric element shoved in the side anyone?

Please explain????

pics please. :icon_cheers:

Is this a plastic barrel with an electric element somehow in the mix????

happy benno, i will be kegging my JSAA kit in the next few days and I'll let you know how it goes.

I haven't been entirely happy with the S04 yeast. It went crazy in the first few days and then nothing. I've tasted the finished brew uncarbed and it tastes sweet, hopefully it's okay once carbed though. My hydrometer isn't worth shit.

Even thus far I think I'd use a US05 yeast next time. You can probably order it with US05 yeast at the same price. I know the little creatures pale ale comes with US05.

Well this has been kegged for a few days. It's got a few problems with it but I believe it was either because of an infection or because the supplied yeast was crappy. I just can't tell which. It has a very slight banana flavour to it which obviously isn't ideal for the style at all. It's still a drinkable beer. You get the impression the kit itself would have been quite good. I'd buy it again but would definitely use a US05 yeast.

One thing that may have caused a problem is that it may have been too aerated? When filling the fermenter the container the kit was in 'glugged' a lot, it was almost impossible not to make it glug, and then I used the same container to transfer water as well so more glugging. By the end there was a lot of foam on top without even adding yeast. Added yeast a few hours later and that's when it went nuts.

Bit of a shame.

Getting air into the wort before pitching yeast is actually a good thing. The yeast needs the oxygen at the first stage (reproduction) before it goes on to making ABV goodness. Aeration at the end of fermentation during kegging or bottling is the time that air=bad.

S-04 and S-05 are both fine yeasts. They tend to be quick but can make for some odd scents and flavours in warmer fermentations. There are nicer yeasts available (Whitelabs, Wyeast, etc), but for repeatable, low cost brewing with a pretty decent result they're just fine.

I did a batch at the end of last month (different recipe) just as the temperatures rose wildly. Hot ferment - 29C+ ambient. Good grief - fruity stink - from S-04. Left it for 18 days in the fermenter, risking infection and yeast autolysis and more... tasted it... bad tastes all gone, so have bottled it and will pray that it's not hangover juice.

Cheers - Fermented.

Mine was a constant 18 degrees from memory.

Yeah I know aeration is good for wort, I just didn't know if it was possible to over aerate it or not.

I left it sitting on the yeast cake for a few days at 18 degrees and actualy crash chilled in primary for a few days at 1 degrees.

I've got the ezybrew lcpa kit as well with s05 yeast and I'm gunna buy a new fermenter tonight, old one can go in the bin!

Me again, this beer is now tasting fine and I would recommend it to people after a kit beer.

Quality wise I'd put it between extract brew and a fresh wort kit.

It is not very different to Tony's JSAA extract clone.

Ask me any questions if you want.

I have a question, Mister *******. Is your comment about it's present state based on your inherent belief system from a few weeks ago when you argued so strongly that this was going to be 'as good as' if not 'better' than a home cooked hop steep+ spec.grain steep+ pure malt can method ? Mine, with the latter methodology, kicks arse too, maybe we should do a swap :p

Sorry mate, I havent wound you up for a couple of weeks, and this seems the perfect opportunity. It's good news if there's a decent kit on the market for an amarillo ale. Although I reckon the flavour comes from a later stage hopping than what a kit can provide.

For what it's worth, my young GA clone is being consumed very prematurely, because it's considered so awesome by SWMBO and guests. But for me, it's a little too much full bodied in texture.

Cheers mate,

Jase

Id have to agree with you there Jase. The Ezybrew LCPA i brewed was no where near as good as the same ezybrew LCPA i brewed with the addition of some steeped grains and hops.

Cheers Brad

Jase, as I mentioned in the thread earlier I'm not really about speculation and stroking my ego etc etc, so I can only answer based on this kit vs Tony's JSAA recipe followed to a T.

So far, this kit is slightly better at the same age. Tony's extract recipe did come into its own after a few weeks though. I think they are comparable enough that it's not worth differentiating too much. With Tony's recipe I should have strained out the hops and made sure they didn't make their way into the fermenter in my opinion, and with this one I should have been more careful with the pitching temperature.

All in all they're very comparable in taste, very comparable in price, with the difference being that one's slightly less effort and the other is much more open to customisation. So choose based on preference obviously.

I would say these ezybrew kits are about on par with extract brews. They're probably not as good as fresh wort kits, but miles ahead of normal cans of goo. They come out of their container as a full liquid, not a viscus goo, and they come with proper yeast and seem to be made with proper ingrediants etc.

Sorry mate I can only talk from experience and not give you more sensationalist crap to get excited about.

Maybe if you say pretty please (you gooknigger ******)

Charming as always, Marky B. How did you know I'm Tiger Woods' gay brother?

Aaaaaaanyway, while we're on JS clones, my version of GA came out a bit 'syrupy'. Could this have been due to the couple of hundred grams of dex & maltodex that I added ?

Jase, I've been studying you closely as a side project to my PGA tour shindiggery. By the way I think your slanty eyes really bring out the sexiness of your wide nose :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Jase, I've been studying you closely as a side project to my PGA tour shindiggery. By the way I think your slanty eyes really bring out the sexiness of your wide nose :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Are you a professional gofer ..... Oops, what a typo.

Do you think I'm asian ? It would be convenient for you to assume that when being disagreeable to my posts. It would give you that excuse to wear the pointy hat bedsheets again.

Latest posts

Back