Joe white maltings delacombe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Lou

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if you can buy malt directly from joe white in Ballarat?
I've been buying malt pre crushed from the home brew store but am looking at getting a mill.
Cheers.

Not sure but after purchasing 4 bags of highly under modified malt. I'll never use their shit ever again!!

Hey Lou, most of us get our grain from G&G or keg king when we are in the city (or do a special run for it). The good folk at Ripon Street charge an arm and a leg for grain - they can't keep up with AG needs really (and they don't really try to, I spoke to Wayne and Averil about that many times, and the new bloke is aware of the cost problem also).

I think if you have a contact/someone who works at JW you might be able to find a way in, but they don't sell direct to individual home brewers. I'm still going to let you know when I next brew also mate, I've just been a bit busy and my last brew is a lager so its tying up the system a bit longer than usual.

jibba: 4 bags is a bad run! I only use their trad ale and their 'export pilsner'. I don't like their spec grains at all.

Thanks guys, yeah it's a bit pricey buying it from the home brew store but I understand they have to put some mark up on it.
Wish I had got on the Vic grain bulk buy on AHB.
Country brewer is in daylesford and advertise bulk grain, might see what he keeps in stock I have family over there.
Look forward to a brew day lecter, will bring a couple bottles of my brew.

County brewer in Daylesford closes at the end of the month, so better get in quick

Otherwise. G&G is just down the road

Bugger, that didn't last long, it's a pity that there isn't a place to buy bulk grain in Ballarat I would have thought all grain brewing is increasing in popularity.
A keg king outlet in Ballarat would be nice.

Mate, I was just talking to Russell (who took over Ripon Street) today and he is keen to offer services for the all grain community in Ballarat. Things might perk up once he finds hsi feet. He is talking pallets every few months etc. Seems like a great bloke and keen to do what he can.

I've been brutally honest with him about hop prices (and hop storage) and what not, so we'll see if he is maybe able to offer prices that are amenable to our needs. Obviously it will still cost more than some of the Melbs outlets, but hopefully the price difference is equivalent to the effort of driving down etc etc etc. Fingers crossed!

That sounds really promising, it makes sense to cater to all grainers, there would be a lot of business side stepping ripon st because of price, which was pretty much my plan after getting a mill but if they start selling bulk grain I'll keep going.

Had a chat to Russell today, he is making up a mailing list and is going to work the bulk grain like a bulk buy scenario. So everything must be pre ordered and is to be picked up by customers on the day it arrives.
I think that is because he doesn't have the storage space available for lots of sacks of grain. He also said it would be a bulk grain, bulk hops order. So if you're interested get your name and email address on his list and wait n see.
He also mentioned that he is going to put about 10percent on top of what it costs him.
He looked at me funny when I asked if he had any rice hulls, I got some from g&g but I want to try get them somewhere closer, mega merch has wool bale size packs for $65 but I think that may be too much. Where do you guys get them?

Just another footnote, I got a bag of wheat malt and a bag of ale malt from keg king delivered to my work for $121, not a bad price, $22 delivery fee, would have cost me more in fuel to go and get it.

Latest posts

Back