Jerky Dry Rub Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunous

I Drink VB
Reaction score
Like you/I do to smoke pork and other meats, normally one would make a dry rub, put on the roast and throw into the smoker, once it's been in there some time you throw apple cider vinegar and a rum mixture to baste it, well I do and it's always Yummo!

Any of you Jerky guru's out there do jerky dry rubs, so one is not having to purchase sauces like Soy and Worcestershire.

How does it go?

Cheers,
Shaun.

I haven't. I reckon a dry rub on a jerky would be over powering. I have a 5 kilo brisket smoking right now and all I do is add a dry rub to it and smoke it for the next 10 hours. The flavour is awesome and really penetrates the meat which is why I think a dry rub on jerky would be too much. The jerky is cut thin so a dry rub on it would cover 70% - 80% of it so when you come to eat it you would be eating more rub than meat.

Unless you mean to rub it and leave it marinate for 3 days and then wash the rub off? In which case it would be interesting to see how far a dry rub can penetrate.

With a dry rub you don't need to buy soy and Worcestershire but you do need to buy sugar, chilli, paprika, salt etc

I just make a dry rub with coriander seeds,pepper corns and dried chillies in a pepper grinder and put that on my jerky. I brush honey on first then grind the rub on it so it sticks

Ducatiboy stu said:
I just make a dry rub with coriander seeds,pepper corns and dried chillies in a pepper grinder and put that on my jerky. I brush honey on first then grind the rub on it so it sticks
Mmmmm sounds like a go.

You use silverside or topside Stu, and all else?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Do you leave the rub on when you put the meat strips in the oven or do you wash it off?

Silverside or pickled pork.

Regardless of the other points in this conversation, everyone should rub ANY meat or veg with a coffee dry rub.

Coffee, Cumin, Coriander, Oregano, Paprika, Salt, Pepper.

Amazing.

My favorite is on sweet potato.

Regardless of the other points in this conversation, everyone should rub ANY meat or veg with a coffee dry rub.

Coffee, Cumin, Coriander, Oregano, Paprika, Salt, Pepper.

Amazing.

My favorite is on sweet potato.

I spent 2 years in PNG, 85% of what I ate was sweet potato as it grows like fireweed over there. I coulda used this instead of a dry potato thrown on coals.. Sounds good, I've never thought of adding coffee, which also grows like fireweed over there.

Back