Sauces & Jerky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelbrau

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of condiments, mustards, sauces, anything you can put on top of meat to add to the flavour! I set to work the other week putting together my (and jack's lol) Black Strap BBQ Sauce.

A mixture of Worcestershire, soy, garlic, onion, liquid smoke, ketchup, molasses, jack daniels and probably some things ive forgotten (have it written down if anyone wants it).

I originally made this as a marinade to go on some Jerky the first time i ever made it, but i seem to have enjoyed licking the pot clean so ended up thinning it up a bit and using it as a sauce! So good!

Speaking of Jerky, do you guys have any cool jerky ideas? different flavours etc? Post em up, im keen for another batch!

I thought id grab some happy snaps, so here is a simmering down photo, with the final product!

554164_3334109603508_1591595928_2702855_1706132268_n.jpg

535482_3336312098569_1591595928_2703432_1008943400_n.jpg

you may as well post up the recipe. people love a good recipe.

search button up top right hand side under the bannerk, will open your world....- link

I have been giving my webber Charcoal BBQ a good thrashing lately, everything from chicken wings, pork ribs, steak, roast pork to american pulled pork rolls.

A couple of great sauces from the last few months

ROADSIDE CHICKEN
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old Worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 10 min to both sides and turn every 10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the webber with a water/catch pan and a high heat cook. Hope you like it. Enjoy
EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade process. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.

CAROLINA RED SAUCE (great for pork but i have put it on just about anything)
1 1/2 Cups of Cider Vinegar
1/2 Cup of tomato sauce
1/2 tsp Cayenne and Smoked Paprika
1 TBS Brown sugar
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt and pepper
1 tsp Vegeta (if you have any laying around).

mix all ingredients and simmer for 20min to bring together, put in a bottle to pour on your BBQ delights. Its runny or thin doesn't really thicken up but if you like hot and tangy sauces give it a go. Absolute staple at my place.

Happy BBQing
Kleiny

Love Carolina Red Sauce, esp on slow cooked pork (pulled pork rolls). My recipe is simple:

1 cup cider vinegar
1 healthy squirt of tomato sauce
1 good shake of cayenne pepper
1 couple of shakes of tabasco sauce
Dash of salt n pepper
1 tsp of brown sugar

Dissolve over low heat in a pot, cool and apply liberally to pork :icon_drool2:

Cheers SJ

Jerky straight from the Charcuterie book by... can't remember, name escapes me.

60g Chipotle chillis in adobo sauce
20g sale
5g onion powder
5g garlic powder
1kg topside, sliced thinly.

So good. :icon_drool2: Generally goes in a week.

So good. :icon_drool2: Generally goes in a week.

Your making it wrong :p , mines lucky to last the day and i have to lock it away if i want to take it to a party.

I did a soy/garlic/paprica type jerky mix, nothing too crazy, but have often used kangaroo for it as its lean and delicious.

If you're keen for something besides beef jerky to try, i'd be putting my hand up for a go at roo.

Sponge

Back