Jao The Ultimate Beginners Mead Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mead has been fermenting exactly 3 months and 3 days. It clarified a month or so ago. I just checked it and 90% of the fruit has fallen suddenly. Another day and I will bottle. I wonder what makes it all fall at the same moment.

R

almost 2 months on, mine is showing no sign of clearing, nor the fruiit dropping! It's been at a stable 18deg the whole time (i'd struglle to get it any higher anyway), but things seem to have stalled.

Should I be concerned?

almost 2 months on, mine is showing no sign of clearing, nor the fruiit dropping! It's been at a stable 18deg the whole time (i'd struglle to get it any higher anyway), but things seem to have stalled.

Should I be concerned?

nah, it's 2 months plus or minus a week (so says the recipe) but I've had it wait longer... just be patient.
If it gets unbearable, you can rack it. It often assists with clearing.

nah, it's 2 months plus or minus a week (so says the recipe) but I've had it wait longer... just be patient.
If it gets unbearable, you can rack it. It often assists with clearing.

It's all good, was just wondering if I should be concerned. It can take as long as it likes (within reason).......

It's all good, was just wondering if I should be concerned. It can take as long as it likes (within reason).......
I chucked mine in a cupboard. It sat more or less at 19deg all the time. It cleared at around 2 onths and did so overnight. The fruit drop was on the ball at the generally expected 3 months (plus 3 days;)).
Leave it, forget about it, and enjoy. Nothing you can do about it either way.

To be enjoyed tonight!

Maybe it was your vegan influence?

Beer is vegan (ewww....) ... look up the rheinsgebot!! - Barley, Hops and Water only ;)

PS, I'll have mine with a hunk of cheese, ty. Make it blue cheese.

Beer is vegan (ewww....) ... look up the rheinsgebot!! - Barley, Hops and Water only ;)

PS, I'll have mine with a hunk of cheese, ty. Make it blue cheese.
Depends if finings, and what they were are used!

Use gelatine, or fish finings, and it's no longer vegan! :)

Depends if finings, and what they were are used!

Use gelatine, or fish finings, and it's no longer vegan! :)
Blasphemy!!!

Just coincidentally ...

The back of my t shirt says
"beer is technically a vegetarian meal"
so it must be good for you!

^ I want that shirt!

OK, I'll quit taking this :icon_offtopic:

I do want to make some mead sometime... Even got the sweet mead yeast.. just gotta pluck up the courage and .. well, courage really.

Blasphemy!!!

Just coincidentally ...

^ I want that shirt!

OK, I'll quit taking this :icon_offtopic:

I do want to make some mead sometime... Even got the sweet mead yeast.. just gotta pluck up the courage and .. well, courage really.

Be careful and gentle with the sweet mead yeast, it's prone to sticking. Watch you ph and your temperature. Make sure you hydrate and use of SNA is advised.

But then, as this is a JAO thread, it's still Way :icon_offtopic: Sorry...
So let's not talk of any more finisng, racking, shaking, stirring, wine yeasts etc, and focus on the bread yeast and raisins ;-)

What is everyone bottling they're mead in? Mine is nearly 3 months old so going to bottle soon and was going to use wine bottles but i can hardly drink 750ml of mead in one sitting. As it doesn't need carbonating, how long will it store in an open bottle of wine? If not i will just bottle in beer bottles.

What is everyone bottling they're mead in? Mine is nearly 3 months old so going to bottle soon and was going to use wine bottles but i can hardly drink 750ml of mead in one sitting. As it doesn't need carbonating, how long will it store in an open bottle of wine? If not i will just bottle in beer bottles.
kegged to carb most of it. then into 750ml bottles. i have a few stubbies but 99% are 750ml. I can easily drink 750ml of mine in a sitting. mine is slightly less sweet than sack mead though. so maybe do a mix and that way you can share a 750ml and cut down on the amount of bottling you have to do

kegged to carb most of it. then into 750ml bottles. i have a few stubbies but 99% are 750ml. I can easily drink 750ml of mine in a sitting. mine is slightly less sweet than sack mead though. so maybe do a mix and that way you can share a 750ml and cut down on the amount of bottling you have to do

I bottle in Pint and half pint bottles mostly. Magner's Pear cidre bottles show the mead off well.
I cap cos it's a lot cheaper than cork, but I will bottle some as gifts or 'take over for dinner' bottles. I use novatwists on the twist tops, and 'Port Corks' on the corrk finish, I then usually wax seal the corks, as they're not so grippy or deep as normal corks.
(all this because I haven't bought a corker yet)

I save every 375ml wine bottle I come across for this reason, they also come mostly in flint, so you can sho off the mead.

I got these little-ish clear wine bottles from the LHBS in Oakliegh. They are a dollar or so each and use little wine caps that twist on. I have done this with rice wine but not yet the mead (will bottle tomorrow most likely). Looks good and hopefully will taste good too. Otherwise if mediocre, I will just use normal stubbies and save the cash for another batch.

I got these little-ish clear wine bottles from the LHBS in Oakliegh. They are a dollar or so each and use little wine caps that twist on. I have done this with rice wine but not yet the mead (will bottle tomorrow most likely). Looks good and hopefully will taste good too. Otherwise if mediocre, I will just use normal stubbies and save the cash for another batch.

ok, had a look at mine last night. It's got a bit clearer! I can definietly see through it when I shine a torch through, where I couldnt before! The raisins have all dropped, the orange is still floating however.

Another week or two and I reckon it might be done!

Is there any point aging this mead? Or is it a case of bottle it, then drink it?

It might be worth mentioning that even if the fruit drops, it can then begin to float again, then drop, then float.....you will think you are nuts and seeing things. My assumption is that once fallen, it is done.

Mine was 3 months , also like golani..
I left mine on the kitchen bench , and it made a good talking point...
I will say in the last 2 weeks , raisins danced a jig and then 2 of the orange quaters dropped...
It was pretty clear when i bottled...
I bottled into a mixture of stubbies and long necks....
Gonna make a nice drop on Christmas day , i reckon !
Cheers
Ferg

Is there any point aging this mead? Or is it a case of bottle it, then drink it?

did you bother to read the first posts that set out this style of mead and what to do with it?

Latest posts

Back