Jamil Malt Liquor Show?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyakavt

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a brewer from the states and a listener of the brewing network. I was going through the archives the other day and saw they never posted the malt liquor episode of the Jamil show. Searching the BN forum did not produce a link, but did provide an explanation. You can see that in the link below.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/vie...+liquor#p137645

But here I am still looking for the show, since J has decreed that he doesn't want it distributed on his site. I know some of you guys record just about everything on the internet, do any of you have a copy sitting around?

Thanks

Hey guys. I'm a brewer from the states and a listener of the brewing network. I was going through the archives the other day and saw they never posted the malt liquor episode of the Jamil show. Searching the BN forum did not produce a link, but did provide an explanation. You can see that in the link below.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/vie...+liquor#p137645

But here I am still looking for the show, since J has decreed that he doesn't want it distributed on his site. I know some of you guys record just about everything on the internet, do any of you have a copy sitting around?

Thanks

Do you have a date for that show?

Screwy

So why actually was the episode withdrawn? Is it to do with Malt Liquor's reputation in the USA as a drink for homeless people and African American Hip Hop homies? Or was there some inappropriate language on the show?

I note the recipe posted on that forum is a killer and I'd like to give it a try. They don't sell Malt Liquor here in Australia but I remember Colt45 in the UK when I was late teen, it was briefly brewed by Courage and was real tramp beer. :icon_chickcheers: I love Skol super 9% when I can get hold of it, but I have to be careful as it renders anyone crawling-around drunk after a four pack.

5.5 gallons
1.069 OG
1.008 FG
90 min boil

mash 145-149F 90 min-2 hours

12lbs Pale Ale Malt
1.5lbs flaked rice
1.5lbs corn sugar
.45 oz Horizon- 60 min

yeast WLP840 (maybe WLP810)
88% Attenuation

Edit: I'm going to have to do some enormous tweaks to do the above as a BIAB, prolly do an 18 L batch and see how it goes.

I reckon it's far too heavy on the malt. I would go

4 kg malt
2 kg rice
1.5kg dex

And drop the hops to 10g

Why waste all that malty goodness on people like this guy:

I'd maybe put in some caramel for colour as well, but definitely not crystal as that would add unwanted flavour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a date for that show?

It was just after the Australian Sparkling Ale show, Feb 2, 2009.

So why actually was the episode withdrawn? Is it to do with Malt Liquor's reputation in the USA as a drink for homeless people and African American Hip Hop homies? Or was there some inappropriate language on the show?

I haven't heard it, but I believe they had a guest on that was bad mouthing the beers as they were tasting them, and the BN didn't want this to be available for download for fear of offending potential sponsors. This bothers me a bit, kind of makes you wonder if you are getting an objective opinion on commercial brews when they are afraid of offending sponsors. That's one reason why I'd like to give the episode a listen and see why censorship was deemed necessary.

It was just after the Australian Sparkling Ale show, Feb 2, 2009.

I haven't heard it, but I believe they had a guest on that was bad mouthing the beers as they were tasting them, and the BN didn't want this to be available for download for fear of offending potential sponsors. This bothers me a bit, kind of makes you wonder if you are getting an objective opinion on commercial brews when they are afraid of offending sponsors. That's one reason why I'd like to give the episode a listen and see why censorship was deemed necessary.
Just had a quick listen to the Au Sparkling Ale show and heard no mention of Malt Liquor

Screwy

Guy on here called 'Barls'. He's a member of the BN. May be one of these people who records things. And I think 'Grod' is on here somewhere as well. Would be keen to know if you found a copy.

Guy on here called 'Barls'. He's a member of the BN. May be one of these people who records things. And I think 'Grod' is on here somewhere as well. Would be keen to know if you found a copy.

Not yet, but I'll give those guys a PM. Thanks.

ditto, would be a good listen, especially now the hype has built up around why it was pulled from being downloaded. Surely someone has a copy of it from the live podcast?

Crundle

lol yeah, that one was funny.

Hell, listen to The Sunday Session or Lunch Meet (especially the latter) to see what they think of bad language...

Now that they've gone through all the BJCP styles (you can download the acrive) the Jamil show is doing a clone show. Also, I recommend brew strong if you're into technical stuff.

Latest posts

Back