Jamil Does Arrogant *******

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picking up on an old thread that I would like to update. Back in November Tasty McDole did another AB clone for the BN crew. I've listened to it a couple of times over and will give Tasty's new version a try. Typing this on a mac and Brewsmith is on the PC so I'll just type in the recipe.
SG 1.066
TG Not given
IBU 94.8
SRM 22.5
Sach rest 65 degrees, nor sure about length.
90% Pale malt.
10% Spec B. Dingeman's
90 min boil
85 mins 24 gms Chinook pellet hops
45 mins 24 gms Chinook pellet hops
15 mins 24 gms Chinook pellet hops
0 mins 24 gms Chinook pellet hops
Yeast WLP002 English Ale
The BN crew mostly agreed that Tasty's version is in fact a clone.

I'm going to change a couple of things to suit my set up and suppliers.
Yeast will be 1028 London ESB (the equivalent of whitelabs??)
I'm doing a 40 lt brew length so I will up the hop amounts to get approx. 95 IBU, the additions will be timed the same.
Now I do like hoppy beers, but this one may test my threshold level.
A couple of things I would like to ask my fellow AHB'ers.
1. I can use british malt or JW traditional ale malt, I'm thinking british to give plenty of malt to support the hops.
2. Given the bitterness level of this ale should I aim for a fermentable wort or more on the dextrinous side of fermentability? I can vary the temp and time through a HERMS.
Cheers.

i did an attempt at this not long ago and came very close to the original beer, i missed my gravity and it was a bit lighter in character but still very good.
im pretty sure the yeast was wlp 007 wich im led to believe is an equivelent strain to wy1098 british ale. best of luck it really is a nice beer.

i did an attempt at this not long ago and came very close to the original beer, i missed my gravity and it was a bit lighter in character but still very good.
im pretty sure the yeast was wlp 007 wich im led to believe is an equivelent strain to wy1098 british ale. best of luck it really is a nice beer.
Shit! back to the podcast, I thought they said WLP002.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure! :lol:

WLP007 is what they said on the podcast.
I've been tempted to make this beer, but having tried it recently (as a grey import) I really didn't think it was that bitter. Maybe it didn't travel well, but seemed to be quite malt forward. In that instance, I might lean more towards the british malt, but then I haven't played much with Spec B. Perhaps a 50/50 mix of english and Aus. malt would be a good approach and refine it from there.

Be interested to hear from others who have tried the beer fresh about how bitter it really is.

i currently have one of these clones in my plans also, so i will be watching this thread with interest, have not done a beer this high a gravity with BIAB before so still deciding how i should approach it and whether or not to back it up with some DME

1066 is up there, but not to the point where you need to start worrying about substituting sugar for malt to make sure you get the attenuation. Just mash a tad lower and a big healthy pitch of yeast with some oxygen and it should attenuate out OK. 98IBU's should go a long way to hiding a small lack of attenuation anyway.

Hi Razz,

I've been keen to brew this one for a while. About 2yrs ago there was an article in BYO about Stone Brewery and they included some recipes (Arrogant ******* being one of them). From memory (I'm at work and the mag is at home), the base malt for the recipe provided in the mag was Marris Otter.

Not a definitive answer to your question, I know, hopefully it helps somewhat.

Cheers SJ

(I have a good pile of Chinook at the moment and this seems to be a good excuse to use it!!)

Good morning Supra-Jim. I've got the mag in front of me, it has six recipes from Stone and none of them are AB. Interestingly, all six recommend WLP002 or WLP005. I will use the 1028 as it's already smacked. Get brewing SJ and perhaps we can do a swap in a few months.

WLP007 is what they said on the podcast.
I've been tempted to make this beer, but having tried it recently (as a grey import) I really didn't think it was that bitter. Maybe it didn't travel well, but seemed to be quite malt forward. In that instance, I might lean more towards the british malt, but then I haven't played much with Spec B. Perhaps a 50/50 mix of english and Aus. malt would be a good approach and refine it from there.

Be interested to hear from others who have tried the beer fresh about how bitter it really is.
Okay, I've realised my stuff up with the yeast. Mika is spot on, the podcast says WLP007. I miss read the comparison chart at Mr Malty when I checked for the equivalent in wyeast. When I got to G&G I picked up London Ale instead of London ESB. The upshot is, no one knows what Stone brewing use and I'll give 1028 a crack.

Whoops, sorry Razz, I was sure there was an AB recipe, bugger!

(Did I at least get the bit about Marris Otter right for the other recipes, or should I give up now?)

Cheers SJ

(Moved house 2 weeks ago so hopefully I can start unpacking the brewery this weekend and getting the workshop set up and ready to brew soon!)

Did the BYO 'Stone' article have Ruination ? I only recently discovered how awesome this beer is. I've probably got the mag here, but would have to sift thru a pile of junk to find it.
Or, how close is the craftbrewer recipe ?

Going from my previous hit-rate, I won't hazard a guess at whether Ruination is included or not (I think it may be). I have not tried the original, however I can say that Ross' recipe produces a very tasty drink! :icon_drool2:

I will try and find my mag tonight.

Cheers SJ

Did the BYO 'Stone' article have Ruination ? I only recently discovered how awesome this beer is. I've probably got the mag here, but would have to sift thru a pile of junk to find it.
Or, how close is the craftbrewer recipe ?
Yes it does Mika. A little different to the Craftbrewer version, but pretty close.

Hmm.. time to go filing thru a bunch of old BYO mags, I really need to get organised :rolleyes:

Just a quick update on where my AB clone is at. I brewed on Friday morning, pitched the dregs of 1 lt starter into a 3 lt starter then those dregs into 2 lts of wort (if that makes sense) The wort has gone nuts! In 48 hours it has gone from SG 1.068 to 1.029 and krausened some time during the night. Before I went to bed I had to clean the top and sides of the fermenter. I can only guess that it took off because I used oxygen for the first time. I was concerned, at pitching, that I may not have used enough O2 but that is clearly not the case. I did use the wyeast yeast calculator to make sure i did not over pitch. The sample I took today is very bitter/sweet, more so than yesterday's sample. I've not used Chinook at these amounts before so I'm guessing that the sweet flavour may be the hops. For those that are interested the recipe is here.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry744999

Keep us updated on how this balances out, keen to give it a go of it comes thru hoppy enough.

Latest posts

Back