James Squire Pepperberry Winter Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Perry, now I just need to organise a trip to the city for drinking.

Wonder who I can blame that trip on? Must check to see if my mate Dave needs me to meet him in the city this week ;)

I had it in the bottle , I liked it , reminded me of the original old style smokey porter. Cant say I know what the pepper thingos taste like normally but it is a good beer.Well worth a try.
GB

Grand Central main bar, Regatta (apparently).
Winkle - (disguised as Snow)

Yes, as Winkle (disguised as me) points out, the Grand Central has it on tap (or did - maybe give them a call before you make the trip). It was really fresh tasting compared to the bottled version and I really enjoyed it... a bit too much :(

Cheers - Snow

I found it distinctly underwhelming on tap as well.
Probably a case of expecting too much.
I found it to be a nice enough dark beer but not the marriage of flavours that the description led my mind to.
Maybe I am just being fussy but I expected something better.

I concur. Nice enough beer but I expected a bigger whack of flavour.

tdh

I found it distinctly underwhelming on tap as well.
Probably a case of expecting too much.
I found it to be a nice enough dark beer but not the marriage of flavours that the description led my mind to.
Maybe I am just being fussy but I expected something better.

Thankfully we as home brewers can now order our pepperberries direct from Tassie and make our own version to knock our mates and wives socks off - so thanks Chuck and the Maltshovel crew. I will get down to the brew pub to have a taste of the ale on tap.

BTW pepperberries that are freeze dried are more mild to those that have been air dried - the air dried kick ass!

Interesting, Paul. How much did you use in the ice cream? Any guesses on how much you'd use in a beer? What styles do you think might be good with a bit of pepperberry kick? :D

I have just returned from the James Squire brew pub in Russel st after enjoying a pint of the PBA off tap. I must say it was very enjoyable. The aroma was good, the pepperberry came through on the tongue - no heat or spice more just the fruit. The beer had good body and fullness and had a nice clean finish. I would certainly have had another one or two but I was on the motorbike so had to stop at just the one. It will be on keg there for a couple of weeks so get down and try it. Also they have the original trial batch brewed at the Squires brew pub in Docklands - they call it the lash. This beer has a lower FG than the one at Russel st (which was made by the boys up in Syd) by a plato or two and also has a bigger whack of Pepperberry in it. I hope to get down there next week as there is only one keg left and it would be good to try the difference. I will also buy a bottle or two tonight to make a comparison to the kegged beer I tried today which I thought had more flavour than the bottle sample I had a week or two ago.

This is the recipe I made for my TV show:

Native Pepper Berry Ice Cream

500 mls of full cream milk
5 egg yolks
200g of white sugar
1 tbls freeze dried ground Pepper Berries
vanilla pod
Rind of one orange

Put milk in a saucepan and heat gently. Add the Pepper berry powder, vanilla beans scraped out of pod and the pod also and the orange rind. Heat to combine all the flavours but dont boil then let it cool down a little. Beat egg yolks and sugar together. Add some of the warm milk to the beaten egg and sugar combo to combine and warm up and then add the egg mixture to the milk. Return to the stove and continue to heat, stirring often until the mixture thickens enough to lightly cover the back of the spoon make sure you do not bring it to a boil.

Remove from heat and strain discarding the solids. Chill in the freezer and then mix in ice cream maker as per instructions for the mixer.

Note: the freeze dried pepper berries are fruitier and have much less heat than the air dried pepper berries. If you made this recipe with ground air dried pepper berries it would be very hot. Also the freeze dried pepper berries make a vibrant purple ice cream where as the air dried will make a much darker midnight blue coloured ice cream. You could also add the Pepper Berries to the custard mixture right at the end of the cooking process, before you chill it this would probably retain the vibrant colour as I found once the pepper berry powder had cooked in the milk mix it lost some of its vibrancy and took on a slightly grayish tinge.

I just had another bottle of the PBA and it is not as good as off the keg - but then would you expect it to be! Beer off the keg is generally better. Out of the bottle it lacked the depth of flavour, the aroma and that fruity spiciness that the keg maintained albeit in limited quantities. It is still a nice beer leaving a nice tree like fruity clean finish on the palate. I would have it again but I do think it is a little bland in the bottle - blame pasteurization perhaps - do Malt shovel pastuerize their kegs?!?

Just a little inside info here - the brewer at Maltshovel did want to up the level of the pepperberry from the version now drinkning at the Docklands (which is more then the russel street brewery) but was voted down. Shame!

regarding pepperberry in a home brew I would be thinking around the 6 - 10 grams per 100 litre as a starting point. 6g think as bottled - 10g think what it could have been.

The Sunshine Coast brewers had several bottles here Saturday night,I personally liked it.I think too much of the Pepper Berry flavor would have overpowered and spoiled it.

Batz

Well Now I have tried it both in the bottle and on tap. I must admit, I preferred it on tap. Was lucky enough to get a taste off the last keg at the Wheatsheaf.

Cheers

HK

Hi,

Just discovered a few of these bottles lying around in the garage... woops!

Expiry date March 09....

Cracked one open... luckily has not gone bad... but of course has lost most of its flavour and body. Quite easy to drink though.

Latest posts

Back