James Squire Beers - Doomed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it definitely tastes different in the last few months.
I switched to Coopers at the pub cause I tought I was just getting a bit sick the Amber Ale and since I'd starting making my own amber ale it just seemed sweeter at the pub in comparison.
But after talking to friends and now finding out that they've moved the production it makes more sense and I don't think it was my imagination that it has changed.

Maybe they've substituted some ingredients for cheaper ones.
Or just not converted the recipe properly for bigger batches

Just to put things back into context, the production of Amber Ale moved from Camperdown to Lidcombe over two years ago.
It isn't a recent move.
Pilsener is a more recent move.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Just to put things back into context, the production of Amber Ale moved from Camperdown to Lidcombe over two years ago.
It isn't a recent move.
Pilsener is a more recent move.

Beers,
Doc
[post="46595"][/post]​

And I believe it has suffered from that move after trying a JS pils last week.
Certainly doesn't have the maltiness that it used to.

C&B
TDA

Perhaps the flavour has suffered as a consequence of bigger batch size, less frequent brews and therefore more age on the bottle versions by the time they are consumed. Smaller & more frequent batches would also logically mean fresher beer to market. So the scale up has meant the beer has suffered even though the formulation is the same.

i agree the Pils is pretty average

Id tried the amber ale once before at uni. Hated it. Then over christmas i had an urge and got a case of JS pils. First half was ordinary, very ordinary. I couldnt get over the hoppiness. Never had anything like it. By the time i got to the second half. About 3 weeks later, it was a completely different beer. Was extremely malty and i loved it. Could it be the beer needs time to develop which it isnt getting coming from tooheys?

I made an interesting observation, this afternoon.

I pulled into the local bottlo, to buy a couple sixer of JS and Redback and I noticed a sign which said words to the effect of "new batch" referring to the JS golden ale. And heres the catch it was several bucks more than the other style JS beers. I just shrugged it off and handed over the extra coin. I often buy the amber ale and pilsner along with the golden ale and have never noticed a price differential between them.

SF

I'm glad that i'm not the only one that thinks that the JS amber ale has gone down hill - very much so in the last few months.

Isn't there a James Squire brewpub in melbourne CBD, on russell St (I think)? They have what looks like brewin equipment, not sure if they actually make beer there - beer was very nice, about 6 months back.

I was just very disappointed when I found I could pay less for a pint of amber ale at the local irish pub (bridie o'reilly's) than at the place that was making it (supposedly) ... really pathetic, I thought.
Never went back to the brewpub after that.

Back