James Squire Amber Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may have pasturised the liquid though... if you added the liquor soon after the boil finished and it stayed at a high temp for say 10-20 mins it would have killed everything.

I'm sure the brew will be fine :)

Mmmm, I've set out a few times to make a JSAA style, as it's one of my favorites. I've ended up with several really nice beers, but none have actually been the same as the James Squire.

Recently I went down the path of upping the crystal malt and willamette hops, as those were two ingredients I knew they used and assumed contributed the most. I ended up using 500g of crystal and 60g of willamette (20g @10, 20g @ flameout, 20g dry to primary).

What I found was that 500g crystal is too much for a 22l batch, and starts to taste a bit astringent and coarse.

Willamette was good but not overwhelming. However, this batch was bittered with 40g Halltertau (8%) so ended up being quite bitter. A really nice English Bitter style beer (wife said it was best ever) but actually nothing like JS... totally lacked the nutty, malty sweetness.

SO... what grain would you use to get that nutty, sweet flavor the JSAA has? "Carapils" has been mentioned here, but may be just a name for something made specially for Malt Shovel brewery...

I usually buy malt from Country Brewer. I've used their "Caramalt" in the past, and also recently got some "Munich" which has a really nice sweet biscuit like taste.

Finally, "Northdown" has been mentioned as a second late addition hop to consider. Can anyone confirm this?

SO... what grain would you use to get that nutty, sweet flavor the JSAA has? "Carapils" has been mentioned here, but may be just a name for something made specially for Malt Shovel brewery...

I usually buy malt from Country Brewer. I've used their "Caramalt" in the past, and also recently got some "Munich" which has a really nice sweet biscuit like taste.
carapils is a type of grain aka carafoam aka dextrin malt. Its not a proprietary product. A full description of it as posted by Ross on the first page of this thread.
The crystal sweetness is best balanced with another grain that lends the dry note to it. Tony's recipe achieves this with a small chocolate addition, and has his recipe in the earlier part of this thread....

The crystal sweetness is best balanced with another grain that lends the dry note to it. Tony's recipe achieves this with a small chocolate addition, and has his recipe in the earlier part of this thread....

I've done a brew which used crystal, caramalt and chocolate on a base of light liquid malt extract, and it was delicious. One of the nicest, but I wouldn't have said it was actually much like James Squire AA. (Except for the color).

But hey, I've decided that this year I'll stop trying to copy other beers or stick to certain well known styles, and just come up with my own stuff. B)

Hi, would 2.5kg of dme work instead of 3kg lme??

Thanks
Nathan

Hi, would 2.5kg of dme work instead of 3kg lme??

Thanks
Nathan

Yeah thats about right, but just remember that some find all dry extract recipe's a bit ordinary, personally I have no problem with them

Thanks, I'm only goin with the dry as I have it in stock, and seeing as its gonna be too hot to do anything outside I thought I might as well make beer.

Nathan

Sounds like this receipe is another I will be adding to my to do list.

Ok. Got the Willamette hops. Mine are 4.8%AA. Recipe calls for 4.3%AA.

Should I drop the amounts to say 35g and 15g or is that too low?

From my calcs, its give me a 22.5 IBU. Recipe states 22.3

That right?

Yep, sounds about right there under. No worries at all.

A useful standpoint is that 10g of 10%AA hopping in a 60min boil will give approximately 10IBU. So 10g of ~5%AA in a 60min will give 5IBU...and so on.

Cheers - boingk

Yeah. Trying to properly work out beersmith. From what I entered in, the 35g and 15g seem to keep the IBU to the recipe.

Thanks for your help mate.

This has just finished up in the fermenter. Came in at 1012. Tastes pretty nice out the test tube. Slightly watery, maybe its my morning breath :p.

Dosent seem to bitter either, and omg, Willamette. What a nice hop.

Champs,

I made Tony's JSAA extract recipe a month or so ago and it was great, of course.
I was just wondering what would happen if instead of 3kg of light lme i used 3kg of amber lme or maybe half and half.

I am pretty keen to give this a crack unless someone can give me a good reason not to.

Cheers

Champs,

I made Tony's JSAA extract recipe a month or so ago and it was great, of course.
I was just wondering what would happen if instead of 3kg of light lme i used 3kg of amber lme or maybe half and half.

I am pretty keen to give this a crack unless someone can give me a good reason not to.

Cheers

I did Tony's recipe the other day and its just about ready to keg. When buying my ingredients I thought exactly the same thing. It will be interesting to see some replies

It'll probably work okay but it's not needed because that's why the crystal and choc is for.

Yes you can steep those two grains.... The craftbrewer site (see ad at top of page) has a good description of grains and also says which ones need mashing / steeping.

And yes you have the correct grains on that page you linked to.

:)

Im going to give Tony's recipe a go today.
Few questions Ive got are, the williamette that i have is only 3.2% and i have 50grams, I'm going to use 25grams of PoR to bitter (i also have some amarillo?)..but i dont know the percentage its not labeled. Also which yeast have people used i have safale US 05, that will ok wont it?
thanks Matt

Hi all,

I did this recipe the other night. After 5 days, still fermenting, currently at 1010 and still dropping. Tastes great out of the fermenter.

Just wanted to thank Tony for the recipe. This is my 5th brew and first extract. After some hits and misses with the kits, this was a far more enjoyable beer to actually brew, and the flavour so far is great.

So thanks again,

Dave

goingto try Tony's recipe, anyone given it a go? got a review?

what temp. should it ferment at? and what temp should i pitch the yeast?

Timbo.

Latest posts

Back