James Squire Amber Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just out of my head :)

Its what i would do if i was making a JSAA. I love the stuff.

It may not be exactly the same but it will be close and a nice drop to boot.

Ross, glad you liked the LCBA, i loved it too.

I just made it again but used amarillo insta=ead of the cascade. It has definate passionfruit notes, cant wait to tap it.

cheers

Good stuff Tony! yeah i love it too
well ive got my recipe then, i will let everyone know how she turns out.

cheers :beer:

Gav

Picked up a 6 pack of it on the way home tonight, Very nice stuff :D

yeah, the other standard beers (VB, Melbourne) just dont compare, ive made it my mission ATM to clone JSAA.

cheers :beer:

Gav

The Cascade Amber Ale I found was also right on the money. The only one I found not to be very good, and I know people will flame me for this is Little Creatures. I have yet to fully understand why people rave on about that brewery :blink:

Yeah I love this beer -- was lucky enough to come across a few cartons for 35 bucks at the valley liqour land which closed down a few wks ago.

Not a kit but I tried for an amber ale with a G&G fresh wort (artisan ale 1) and added 500g of steeped Bairds crystal and pitched a wyeast 1050. It is the right colour (although cloudy) and has a nutty taste and i am liking it a lot.

I like the look of your recipe Tony and will give it a try as I have the ingredients, thanks.

Going to try the recipe posted above by Tony tommorow. Have all the fermentables but no Willamette hops.
I have

Saaz
Northen Brewer
Amarillo
Fuggles
cascade
Hallertau
goldings
Which would be the best substitute to use???
Many thanks

Going to try the recipe posted above by Tony tommorow. Have all the fermentables but no Willamette hops.
I have

Saaz
Northen Brewer
Amarillo
Fuggles
cascade
Hallertau
goldings
Which would be the best substitute to use???
Many thanks

Ok :unsure:

Decided to go with 40g Fuggles 4.4 40min
15g Hallertau 5 min

theres a thread somewhere on here that suggests that they dont actually use carapils grain as we know it...its more of a light crystal that is specially made for them,and carapils is just a name tagged to it. More of a JW caramalt type thing.Ive had a crack at a Ag recipe and am looking to perfect it,am finding it hard to ge tthat distinctive "nutty" after taste down pat,going to try even more amber malt next time.

have a go at this. Dont use the APA kit, it will have all the wrong flavours

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 3.33
Anticipated OG: 1.044 Plato: 11.05
Anticipated EBC: 20.0
Anticipated IBU: 22.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 45 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.1 3.00 kg. Coopers LME - Light Australia 1.038 7
9.0 0.30 kg. TF Crystal UK 1.034 140
0.9 0.03 kg. TF Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 900

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
40.00 g. Willamette Pellet 4.30 20.1 45 min.
20.00 g. Willamette Pellet 4.30 2.2 5 min.

Yeast
-----

US-56 or SO-4

The night before, heat 1 liter of water to about 70 deg in a small pot and remove from the heat. Add in your cracked crystal (300g) and 30g of cracked chocolate malt and stir in. the chocolate isnt stated on the website but it lends a fantastic nutty complexity and amber colour without having tio use a ton of crystal.
Put the lid on and forget about it for 12 to 24 hours

the next day get 2 cans of coopers un hopped liquid malt extract.

disolve 1 can in about 10 to 12 liters in a big 18 odd liter pot ($20 from Woolworths)

bring it to the boil and add the first 40g of hops.

boil them for 40 minuites then add the remaining 20g of hops.

Boil these for for 5 minuites then remove the lot from the heat.

strain the liquid from the little pot with your crystal ect in it into the big pot with the hops, just use a fine kitchen strainer to do this and dont go rinsing it with boiling water to get more colour from it, all you will get is tannins......... yuck.

Now disolve the other tin of coopers liquid extract in the big pot and cool it down in the laundry sink, bath tub, where ever.

tip it in the firmenter when cool strain out the hops if you can, and top it up with cold water to 23 liters.

off you go.

this will be a far better beer than one made with a kit as a base.

trust me.

cheers

Well, thanks Tony. Pulled the first of these tonight and although not carbed enough is very good. The nutty taste is there and it is a crisp clear brew.
This was my first brew without a kit can and I am impressed.
I didnt have the Willamette hops and went with Fuggles for the boil then Hallatau at the end
Thanks again Tony for knudging me away from kit cans with this recipe

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Grain/Extract/Sugar

Hops

Yeast
-----

US-56 or SO-4
That's very similar to a brew I recently did and it came out pretty good. James Squire mention 3 distinct hop varieties are used in JSAA, but I only know that Willamette is one of them. Anyone know the other two?

I think that they use Northdown quite late - and they probably use Pride of Ringwood or Super Alpha for bittering.

Bump & Hijack.

Just doing a quick Amber Ale thingy, and was scouting for hop/yeast variations.
My recipe so far is pretty simple
Coopers APA
1kg Amber DME
15g Amarillo @15min
15g Amarillo @0min

Yeast: either Windsor, S-33 or Whitbread (what's in the fridge basically).

Don't have any crystal, but I have some melanoidin?...

Bump & Hijack.

Just doing a quick Amber Ale thingy, and was scouting for hop/yeast variations.
My recipe so far is pretty simple
Coopers APA
1kg Amber DME
15g Amarillo @15min
15g Amarillo @0min

Yeast: either Windsor, S-33 or Whitbread (what's in the fridge basically).

Don't have any crystal, but I have some melanoidin?...

I think the amarillo in that will make it come out more like Little Creatures than JS Amber ale. I used willamette because it gives that nutty/earthy taste that JSAA has, yeast wise I used windsor, but you could use US 56 or whatever its called now, US-04? An american yeast in other words.

I think the amarillo in that will make it come out more like Little Creatures than JS Amber ale. I used willamette because it gives that nutty/earthy taste that JSAA has, yeast wise I used windsor, but you could use US 56 or whatever its called now, US-04? An american yeast in other words.
Kinda what I was thinking. Amber = english. We'll call it an amber/golden crossover ale then. Cheers

i think i am going to have to tag this thread for future reference...

tony, your recipe seems like the perfect step for me to move into extract brewing

cheers

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Grain/Extract/Sugar

Hops

Yeast
-----

US-56 or SO-4

The night before, heat 1 liter of water to about 70 deg in a small pot and remove from the heat. Add in your cracked crystal (300g) and 30g of cracked chocolate malt and stir in. the chocolate isnt stated on the website but it lends a fantastic nutty complexity and amber colour without having tio use a ton of crystal.
Put the lid on and forget about it for 12 to 24 hours

the next day get 2 cans of coopers un hopped liquid malt extract.

disolve 1 can in about 10 to 12 liters in a big 18 odd liter pot ($20 from Woolworths)

bring it to the boil and add the first 40g of hops.

boil them for 40 minuites then add the remaining 20g of hops.

Boil these for for 5 minuites then remove the lot from the heat.

strain the liquid from the little pot with your crystal ect in it into the big pot with the hops, just use a fine kitchen strainer to do this and dont go rinsing it with boiling water to get more colour from it, all you will get is tannins......... yuck.

Now disolve the other tin of coopers liquid extract in the big pot and cool it down in the laundry sink, bath tub, where ever.

tip it in the firmenter when cool strain out the hops if you can, and top it up with cold water to 23 liters.

off you go.

this will be a far better beer than one made with a kit as a base.

trust me.

cheers

ok, I now have free fermenter & keg available to put this down this weekend, as this is my first attempt at an extract brew I fear i may have done something silly.

At this stage I have placed the grain into the water for steeping and was rewarded with a rich dark liquid, now about 1/2 hour later it appears that the grain has soaked up the all the water in the pot (1lt as per recipe) and now looks quite dry. My question will the water come back out of the grain if left for the 12-24 hours? or will I need to pour some hot water through it when straining it into the malt & hop mix?

Back